Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How to configure KUKA external axes

Another update on this, if I just drag the SRC file into RoboDK, and select "Filter Only", it will post a filtered SRC file. I'll run a physical test with it tonight or tomorrow.
(10-06-2022, 01:20 PM)Albert Wrote: Another important point I missed:

When you use a synchronized turntable with a robot machining project you should select the reference where your object is attached or a reference attached to your turntable (a reference frame that moves with your turntable). This image shows the correct settings. The previous project I provided you is not optimal for program generation.

The root point of the turntable is the position of the turntable reference when the axis of the turntable is set to 0 deg (E1). This needs to be configured properly on the robot controller (by calibrating the root point of your turntable) and properly imported in RoboDK (update the "My Mechanism Base" reference in your RoboDK project).

Then, when you generate the KUKA SRC code you should then see that A and E1 values are in sync to maintain the tool orientation static (A tool orientation compensates for the E1 turntable movement).

Also it is important to properly define your $BASE frame. When you generate programs for KUKA robots and you have synchronized axes you'll see the following code:
Code:
; ---- Setting reference (Base) ----
; Using external axes
; $BASE=EK(EX_AX_DATA[1].ROOT,EX_AX_DATA[1].EX_KIN,EX_AX_DATA[1].OFFSET)
; $ACT_EX_AX= 1
$BASE = {FRAME: X 0.000,Y 0.000,Z 130.175,A 0.000,B 0.000,C 0.000}
; --------------------------

You may need to configure the post processor to output the base definition inline, use the EK function (as shown in the output comments) or link to an existing BASE_LIST definition. We can help you with that if you have sample programs that show how your turntable was configured.

If you can share your Machine.DAT file we may be able to help you better (we are not KUKA experts but we may be able to help you troubleshoot).

Hello, 
I have a problem with making paths on the robot with the turntable. When uploading the program via a pendrive, the robot only correctly performs PTP movements. LIN moves are completely different than in the simulation. When I run the simulation, everything looks correct, but in real they are completely different points. It probably depends on the User Frame, but I think they are defined correctly in RDK project. Additionally, today I tested changing $BASE DATA to $BASE = EK (MACHINE_DEF[2].ROOT, MACHINE_DEF[2].MECH_TYPE, {X 1758.10425,Y -25.2691803,Z 451.408875,A -77.4013214,B 0.262369037,C -90.39879 61}) . It didn't help either. Changing the parameter $BAS(#Base 0,) to $BAS(#Base 2,) did not help. I moved the root point from the robot to RDK. I don't know what else I could have done. Please help.
I recommend you to configure the external axes by using these 2 configuration files:
  • KRC\R1\System\$config.dat
  • KRC\R1\Mada\$machine.dat
When the external axes are properly configured on the robot controller, you simply need to load the turntable root point to RoboDK.

More information here:
https://robodk.com/forum/Thread-How-to-c...2#pid13742