Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Recommended Hardware Setup for Simulation

Is there a recommended hardware setup to produce simulations with RoboDK? 

What do most people use? Are you using just a laptop, desktop, or are you using more of a dedicated machine or server with more processing power?

I have the following setup, but it doesn't take much for my simulations to slow down, especially when interacting with the APIs.

Dell Precision 7720
Windows 10 Enterprise version 10.0.17763 Build 17763
CPU: Intel Core i7-6820HQ CPU @ 2.70 GHz 
RAM: 16 GB RAM
GPU: Quadro P3000
Storage: NVMe Samsung SSD 970
I want to show an illustration of the performance issues I'm seeing. The three robots are not synchronized as in the example Youtube video:

Synchronization as seen from my device:

Youtube synchronization example:

What setup do you guys use at RoboDK?
Try running RoboDK with Graphics card, i have 8 gb of ram, an i3-3110m and an nvidia gt710m and i have no problem with simulations.

On laptop if you have installed the graphics drivers and have an nvidia card you can right click the shortcut and click on run with graphics processor ( see image ).

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hi jccourtney,

The problem you see is not due to your PC configuration, it's a bug in the example we have in our library.
I just realise that I have the same problem on my side.
I'll see if I can fix it and I'll let you know.

But to answer your question, I'm running on a gaming laptop and pretty much everything runs smoothly.

Processor : Intel i7-8750H @ 2.20 GHz (really running at 3.5 GHz according to the Task manager)
RAM : 16 GB
Graphic card : Nvidia Geforce 1070

Edit : I already found the problem, robot 1 (R1) doesn't have the same Speed and Joint Speed as the other two.
Simply double click the robot -> "Parameter" -> "Speed (mm/s)" = 1000 and "Joint Speed (deg/sec)" = 200
That should bring them pretty close to synchronizing.
If you want them to be really in sync, you can dig deeper in Python and create a real multi-treading program.