Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

3D printing with a KUKA - toggle extruder on/off with an output signal

Greetings,

Preface:
I am working on a KUKA (KRC4) and the extruder we have is a plastic welder. It does not accept g-code and can only dispense continuously (it's either on or off). I have wired everything on the KUKA-side so that when the robot receives the KRL command "OUT[1] = TRUE", extruder will activate. Likewise, the command "OUT[1] = FALSE" ceases extrusion.

Question:
Is there any way to set the RoboDK 3D print settings so that all extrusion toolpaths (exclusively) are preceded by the activation command and followed by the deactivation command?
Alternatively, is there a post-processing option that can do this? I am rather new to RoboDK in general.

It should be noted that the E1 external axis on the KUKA is being used by a linear positioning unit.

Thank you,
Adam
Quote:Is there any way to set the RoboDK 3D print settings so that all extrusion toolpaths (exclusively) are preceded by the activation command and followed by the deactivation command?

In the 3D printing project, open "Program Events".
Activate the "Path start" and "Path finish" options.

Press the green "+" and from the drop-down menu, select "Insert code". 
Enter: OUT[1] = TRUE

Do the same for the path finish but with FALSE. 

That should be enough for your current needs, but you can play with the functionality from there.
Find useful information about RoboDK and its features by visiting our Online Documentation and by watching tutorials on our Youtube Channel

Thank you, I will remember to do this. I have currently encountered another problem (I will put it in the 'bugs' category of the forum).
I moved your question to general.

Jeremy
Find useful information about RoboDK and its features by visiting our Online Documentation and by watching tutorials on our Youtube Channel