Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

ABB IRC5 - Problem with I/O

Hello everyone,
I want to know what's the proper way to use a Digital Output in a ABB Robot with IRC5 Compact Controller.
I'm using ethernet connection (so the driver in the robot is RDK_DriverSocket.mod) and everything regarding connection and movements works fine (this means that I am able to move the robot using RoboDK without any problem).
Now I'm trying to use a Digital Output (I've already configured the I/O system in the robot) but when we use the setDO function in python or even the "Set or Wait I/O Instruction" it doesn't seem to do anything... looking in the .mod file I've realized that the setDO function is actually commented (from line 273):

Code:
           case 121:
    COM_SendNum(121);
    num1 := COM_ReadNum();
    num2 := COM_ReadNum();
               !DO_Signal := num1;
               !DIO_Value := num2;            
               !SetDO DO_Signal, DIO_Value;
               TPWrite "Implement setting Digital Outputs";
    COM_SendNum(128);

Well, I just uncommented these 3 lines and there is a Error Message (40223), so apparently this lines are commented because of an issue???
Is there a way to fix it?

Thanks in advance!
Hi Nox,

You should properly map your IO numbers provided from RoboDK to corresponding digital input/output and value variables (dignaldi, signaldo and dionum types as stated by RAPID programming language).

Albert
I've managed to connect and control the I/O from the IRC5 Controller, but the problem is that when I try to use them with RoboDK the controller doesn't do anything, mainly because the driver file that you provide is not doing anything in that piece of code, like I said, the code is commented, and if I uncomment those lines, the controller prompts an error.
Hi Nox,
I can try to take a look at that this week, but if you are on a hurry, you can correct this situation yourself.
Simply modify the ABB IRC5 post processor so that it gives you the proper I/O lines of code.
The fact that the I/O lines are commented directly comes from the post processor behavior.
If you find where those lines are generated, you can also modify them so that they fit with your controller I/O mapping.

Have a great day.
Jeremy
I've seen the postprocessor and I think there's no problem with it, the file that I've shown is the file that is inside the robot controller (RDK_DriverSocket.mod) and this is the file that apparently doesn't work...
Yeah, you are right it's my bad.

Still, you can modify those lines of code in the driver so that they match the way ABB/RAPID expect the I/O to be activated.
That's the problem, I'm not that good in RAPID to modify this in order to get it working, and apparently just uncommenting those lines doesn't solve the error...
Hi Nox, 

I took a look at the situation and I think I found the way to activate your digital output. 

The code should look a bit like this for the SetDo. 
Code:
Var dionum DIO_Value;

num1 := COM_ReadNum();
num2 := COM_ReadNum();

IF num2 = 0 OR num2 = 1 THEN
DIO_Value := num2;
ENDIF

%"SetDO DO_Signal_" + NumToStr(num1) + ", DIO_Value;"%

And for the WaitDI.
Code:
%"WaitDI DI_Signal_" + NumToStr(num1) + ", DIO_Value;"%

There is still some integration to be done.
Inside your controller parameters, you need to correctly map your I/Os. 
You also need to give names to your I/O that match the "DO_Signal_X" and "DI_Signal_X" found in the code. 
(See data type "signalxx" from the RAPID manual : https://library.e.abb.com/public/688894b...evJ_en.pdf )

Note that I didn't test that code, some modification may be needed. 

Have a good day. 
Jeremy
Thank you Jeremy!
I'll take a look to this code later today and comment the results!
So I tried the code that you sent, and it's still not working
[Image: LAfrWf9.png]
I had to comment the line 278 because of an error with the VAR.
Then I also changed the %" "% thing because of a syntax error.
And the red color line on "custom_DO_" says that the function is expecting a "num"...