Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Can I use RoboDK and a Staubli Rx90 to cut out a 3D pattern?

Howdy,

I have a Staubli Rx90.  I'd like to use the arm with a small router (or even a dremel tool) and - using a very small, sharp carbide router bit, cut out a pattern for foundry work.   Ideally I'd cut it out of western red cedar, balsa, or some other not-so-dense wood.  Alder perhaps.  The pattern is 14" long, 8" wide, and 2" thick.  It needs to be cut on the two opposing 8"x14" sides.  

I'm not opposed to using wax if wood is not an option.   Foam might work too, but I'd much prefer to deal with wood dust.  

Does anyone here have experience with this sort of cutting?  I'm looking for good detail, and suspect I'd have to "drip-feed" multiple programs from my pc to the controller via tera-term and a serial cable.  

I have not tried using RoboDk yet, but am an experienced Rhino3D user.  

Thanks!

David Earle

Vashon Island, WA
To do that kind of work, you will first need to generate some type of NC code (.GCode, .APT, .NC).
RoboDK will then help you convert that to something usable for your robot.

You might, or might not need to use some drip-feed, it will depend on the size of the program and the size of the controller's internal memory.
You will know when you will test it. I'm not familiar enough with Staubli to answer.

Woodcutting should be "easy enough", some of our customers already successfully do that kind of work.
I never saw anyone do it with wax, but I imagine it can be done. Cutting parameters would be important in order to cut and not melt the wax.
Foam is something our customers do too, so that's also an option.

What kind of information are you looking for exactly?
Jeremy
Find useful information about RoboDK and its features by visiting our Online Documentation and by watching tutorials on our Youtube Channel

Thanks for the tips Jeremy,

If my controller doesn't like 30,000 lines of code, how does drip feed work?

Thanks,

David
We don't have a drip feed set up for Staubli as far as I know.

But here's how it works:
1 - Your robot needs to support some sort of remote program transfer (most of the time it's FTP transfer)
2 - RDK will split the programs into pieces: 1 Main calling all the subprograms and the subprograms splitting the task every N lines.
3 - A Python script will load via FTP the Main and the first 2 programs (Sub1 and Sub2 for example) and start the Main.
4 - As soon as Sub1 is done, the Python script will delete Sub1 from the controller and load Sub3.

It can all be done manually even if we don't have the drip-feed.

Jeremy
Find useful information about RoboDK and its features by visiting our Online Documentation and by watching tutorials on our Youtube Channel