Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Can't rotate Z axis in CNC (5 axes robots)

Hi @Albert and @Jeremy

I´m using the Reis RL130P in a project that I have to make a robot path program. This path has to be rotated along the Z-axis, but the option is not accessible via the menu. 
The Reis uses the CNC cinematic (5 axes).
The Z rotation option is also not accesible in a custom 5 axes robot.

You can't use optimization on a 5-axis robot.
The concept of this optimization algorithm is that you have a 6-axis system (robot) doing a 5-axis job (milling), you, therefore, have a redundant DOF (rotation around Z that you can use) to avoid singularities and joint limits.
This isn't true if you use a 5-axis robot.

Jeremy
Find useful information about RoboDK and its features by visiting our Online Documentation and by watching tutorials on our Youtube Channel

Hi @Jeremy, thanks for your reply!

The idea of using axis optimization in a 5 axes robot (mechanism) is because in some cases one axis could be in limits and the TCP still could reach a target if the TCP rotates in Z (moving another axis that is not in limits). This functionality could be extremely useful in robots that have low ranged axes.

@Albert, Could be this functionality a "Request feature" for a next update?
We'll see what Albert has to say, but I think that would fundamentally go against the way the algorithm works.

Jeremy
Find useful information about RoboDK and its features by visiting our Online Documentation and by watching tutorials on our Youtube Channel