Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Control program execution KUKA robot

Hello,

We're using online programming to control a KUKA robot through the RoboDK API, using the C3 Bridge Interface Server (kukabridge) as RoboDK robot driver. I know the C3 Bridge Interface supports control of program execution. To my knowledge, however, the RoboDK API does not (yet) allow for control of the KRL program execution (start/stop/reset), particularly the RoboDKsync543.src program.

Is this expected to be added soon? If not, is it possible to add this functionality ourselves and how?

This would be valuable, because it is currently required to manually select/cancel/start/resume/reset/stop the program (using the teach pendant). For example, if you want to enter the robot cell during operation, a safety stop is triggered and program execution is stopped, requiring you to (reset and) start/resume the program manually through the HMI after leaving and closing the protective fence.
It is currently not possible to control the execution state of programs in KUKA controllers. However, we'll add it to the pipeline of new features to add.
Now it's possible.
Additional commands have been added to the KUKA Bridge driver:
  • PROGRAM RESET
  • PROGRAM START
  • PROGRAM STOP
  • PROGRAM CANCEL
  • PROGRAM SELECT <PATH_TO_PROGRAM>
  • PROGRAM RUN <PATH_TO_PROGRAM>
  • CONFIRM ALL
How to run a program:
Code:
PROGRAM RUN KRC:\R1\PROGRAM\TEST_ZONE
The run command is the same as select+start.

I have attached the version of the kukabridge driver (Windows, 64-bit) and a demo project that allows you to call driver commands from a RoboDK station.

Attached Files
.rdk   KUKA Program Control Example.rdk (Size: 319.59 KB / Downloads: 152)
.zip   kukabridge.zip (Size: 89.23 KB / Downloads: 323)
Thanks Dmitry!

I was finally able to do some quick tests with this:

- I noticed that the kukabridge driver you attached here works, but the one that comes with RoboDK v5.6.4 does not (even though the release notes mention the KUKA driver was updated to enable remote program control).

- I was wondering if there is also a possibility to turn on(/off) the drives or if it could be added. In the example I draw above it is required to turn on the drives before resuming/restarting the program.
Quote:I noticed that the kukabridge driver you attached here works, but the one that comes with RoboDK v5.6.4 does not (even though the release notes mention the KUKA driver was updated to enable remote program control).
This happens sometimes. Perhaps we forgot to add the latest version of kukabridge to the distribution.

Quote:I was wondering if there is also a possibility to turn on(/off) the drives or if it could be added. In the example I draw above it is required to turn on the drives before resuming/restarting the program.
Unfortunately, I don't know how to implement this yet. It is possible that in time this feature will be implemented. And it will most likely require the creation of a new version of C3 Bridge Server.
There's writable system variable $DRIVES_ENABLE, so I'll test with robot.setParam("Driver", "SET $DRIVES_ENABLE TRUE") and get back to you.
Forgot to get back on this, so for anyone interested: robot.setParam("Driver", 'SET $DRIVES_ENABLE TRUE') works!
Excellent! Thank you for your feedback.