Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Corner turn in machining toolpath

Hello,
I am bettering my practice in RoboDK. The system executes the toolpath simulation really fine up to now. However, I got a request to execute a toolpath which has 2 perpendicular lines. The robot tool can follow the first path quite well in the initial orientation, but it keeps the same orientation even in the rest, when it should have a 90­° turn to follow the second path.       

I know I can teach the robot/tool starting position in machining project setting, but I do not know if I can do the same for the middle of this process: to teach the robot tool to turn after finishing the first path. I really appreciate if you can show me some methods to do this. Thank you very much.
You can try using the 'Tool orientation follows path' option for the 'Selection algorithm' parameter.
(05-11-2023, 06:56 PM)Sergei Wrote: You can try using the 'Tool orientation follows path' option for the 'Selection algorithm' parameter.

Hello,
Thank you very much for your suggestion. However, now the situation meets the problem shown in the picture, as the tool changes its orientation already before the corner. Can you please show me what parameters or methods I can modify to fix this? Thank you once again.
You should apply a constant rotation on the tool, either your TCP or your path to tool offset orientation. If you can share your RDK project file we can help you better.
(05-12-2023, 08:26 AM)Albert Wrote: You should apply a constant rotation on the tool, either your TCP or your path to tool offset orientation. If you can share your RDK project file we can help you better.

Hello,
I really apologize I have not replied faster as I was so busy. Thank you for your advice, but I am still really confused and do not know how to actually apply that. I really appreciate if you can help me with this or show me your instructions in more detail. Thank you very much. 
You can find the RoboDK project attached. Thank you once again.

Attached Files
.rdk   Machining station_6_machining-v2.rdk (Size: 15.5 MB / Downloads: 141)
I have added a sample machining to your station and created some examples that use the 'Tool orientation follows path' option (attached).

I've used the following settings: 

Attached Files
.rdk   Machining station_6_machining-v2_mod.rdk (Size: 15.5 MB / Downloads: 131)
[attachment=4333 Wrote:Sergei pid='15153' dateline='1684254299']I have added a sample machining to your station and created some examples that use the 'Tool orientation follows path' option (attached).

I've used the following settings: 

Thank you very much for your help. I have tried your instructions, but I do not know why the issue still occurred. I tried to make the settings like you but it is not possible to set "Allow a tool Z rotation of +/-" to 0.00 deg as you did since with the toolpath I have, the error: "The robot cannot reach all targets in the path" would happen     . Therefore, I had to try with 180 deg default setting to see what could happen, the path was solved eventually but the tool still could not rotate like how you did.           

Can you please help me with this issue? Thank you once again.
Since you have attached the imported .tap program to the base of the robot, the imported trajectory moves with the robot base attached to the ext axis. If you use a static frame (not attached to the ext. axis), this allows you to adjust the position of the robot base relative to the imported path. In the opposite case, it is not possible to maintain the tool orientation as part of the path is unreachable.

I have attached a modified station. Frame 3 is attached to the base frame of the station.

Attached Files
.rdk   Machining station_6_machining-v2_mod.rdk (Size: 15.5 MB / Downloads: 135)
(05-18-2023, 04:20 PM)Sergei Wrote: Since you have attached the imported .tap program to the base of the robot, the imported trajectory moves with the robot base attached to the ext axis. If you use a static frame (not attached to the ext. axis), this allows you to adjust the position of the robot base relative to the imported path. In the opposite case, it is not possible to maintain the tool orientation as part of the path is unreachable.

I have attached a modified station. Frame 3 is attached to the base frame of the station.

I really apologize that it takes some time for me to think and try your instructions. I am not sure I perfectly understand your idea but I did try to make a curve follow project instead (it is Path 5 Settings in the attached simulation), inspiring from your "box curve following" example previously. However, I do not know why the approaching angle of my project is so weird, it is very inclined and I do not know how to set it back to vertical orientation. Moreover, I cannot control how the tool turns as the robot arm suddenly "sinks" and keeps a confusing orientation on the short side of the workpiece. 
Please help me with this as I am so struggling with this but it is almost the final step in the simulation. Thank you very much sincerely.

Attached Files
.rdk   Machining station_7_machining-v2.rdk (Size: 15.51 MB / Downloads: 135)