Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Creating machining paths for robot-mounted sawblade

I have a Kawasaki BX130X robot mounted with an 8" sawblade to cut wood. I am using Fusion360 to create the machining toolpaths. I've programmed 7 cuts in Fusion360. When I import the toolpaths into roboDK, since it is a sawblade I need the tool orientation to follow path while cutting. However, if I enable "tool orientation follows path" for the machining operation, it will attempt to follow the path when the robot retracts and moves to a new cut. This is impossible for the robot. Is there any way I can get the tool orientation to follow path only when cutting? Ie under a certain height. I can get around this by making each cut a separate machining operation in Fusion, but as I will be doing this 100s of times I'd love to find an easier solution.
Picture and example robodk setup attached for reference.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.rdk   Sawblade Machining example.rdk (Size: 2.48 MB / Downloads: 32)
I believe the design of your tool could be improved if you want to make all these cuts in one shot. It would help if you had the saw aligned with axis 6. This would help to take advantage of the +/- 210 deg of rotation for axis 6 of your Kawasaki robot.

Another option is to maintain the same tool design and make one machining project for each pass. This will allow RoboDK to pick the most optimal start point before each pass. This will create joint movements between each joint pass but you define a suitable approach distance and later check for collisions if needed.

You can do this automatically in RoboDK by checking this option:
  1. Select Tools-Options
  2. Select the CAM tab
  3. Check the option Automatically create one machinig operation per program
If you reload the machining project from Fusion 360 you should see each cut as a new robot machining project.