Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Drawing with robot

I would like to use a robot to paint some pictures by importing DXF files, convert them to gcode and let robodk generate the program, which works just fine... the issue I have is the speed. Because my pictures consist of many short paths, I lose alot of time for the robot to go from 1 path to another, also the robot never gets to full speed because of the acceleration and deceleration... so my question is, can robodk somehow import all the curves, but turn them into 1 long path where on each start and end of the curve I get a digital signal?

Basically like a laser engraver for example... the robot runs at full speed over its path, but turn on and off the laser as needed... OR, if thats somehow easier, every time there is empty space between 2 lines, he can maybe just lift the tool 1-2 cm but keep his path at full speed.

If there is any other ideas how I could improve my speed, I am open for ideas... the main issue is really that as it is now, each pictures takes me up to 15 min and I think good 30-50% of the time is going from 1 curve to the next and not very often reaching full speed because the lines are too short for the accelerations. (I am drawing on a A4 Paper)

Any input is more then welcome!

Thanks
Hi Kopler,

Do you use DXF2Gcode to generate your gcode?
If so, the settings you are looking for are in there.
You can decide how much you want to retract (or not retract) in the parameters. That should save you a lot of time.
Then added to a good blending/rounding value (you may need to do some tests to find the best value) you should be able to avoid to many acceleration and deceleration.

Jeremy
(08-12-2020, 09:07 PM)Jeremy Wrote: Hi Kopler,

Do you use DXF2Gcode to generate your gcode?
If so, the settings you are looking for are in there.
You can decide how much you want to retract (or not retract) in the parameters. That should save you a lot of time.
Then added to a good blending/rounding value (you may need to do some tests to find the best value) you should be able to avoid to many acceleration and deceleration.

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy, 
thanks for the answer!
Yes, I am using DXF2Gcode to generate my gcode and did set the retraction to only 3 mm so the pen clears the paper, but I still have almost 2 sec between each line. Basically the robot draws 1 line, then at the end lifting pen, going to next location (only 1 cm distance) and starting again, that alone takes for some reason almost 2 sec. but I will look into blending/rounding... didnt touch that yet. Maybe thats my issue.
Hi Kloper,

Within DXF2GCODE, you can also set some M-code at certain points along the path (like when the lines start and finish).
The M-code can then be captured by the program evens section of your "Robot Machining project" in RDK.
You could potentially scrap the approach and retract form the lines.

Jeremy