Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Edit Fanuc max char limit for program names

Good morning everybody,

I have a relatively minor issue with how RoboDK is generating TP files. My Rj3ib controller allows a max of 8 alphanumeric characters for program names. My post-processor in RoboDK specifies a max of 10 (changed to 12 in image due to experiementation). However, regardless of what I change the max characters to, it will always output 6 and cut off any other characters. My images provide an example. 

In RoboDK, the program names are all <= 8 characters but will get trimmed off when generated as shown in the file explorer screenshot.

Before we got a trial we were given a small tour/showcase of RoboDK by a RoboDK representative. He was able to go deeper into the post-processor code and change specific things but I don't quite remember how to do that. I remember seeing that for whatever reason the max character limit was defined by min(6, var_here) in more complex post-processor code.  Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

What post processor are you using? The default post processor is compatible with RJ3 controllers and will not output program names of more than 6 characters to support automatic splitting of programs so you can have up to 100 numbered subprograms for the same program, using 8 characters at most in total. This will allow you to have automatic drip-feeding for large programs if needed.

If you want to change this behavior you may need to change this variable: FANUC_RJ3_COMPATIBLE
Code:
# Set to True to generate programs compatible with RJ3 controllers (small difference in the program header)
FANUC_RJ3_COMPATIBLE = False
Having the post processor variable FANUC_RJ3_COMPATIBLE set to True imposes a maximum of 6 characters. Otherwise, the default max number of characters for program names is 10.

We are improving the default Fanuc post processor with our next update to allow you to better customize this with the variables available in the header:
Code:
    # Set to True to generate programs compatible with RJ3 controllers (small difference in the program header, program names should have less than 6-8 characters)
    FANUC_RJ3_COMPATIBLE = False

# Max program characters:
    MAX_PROG_CHARS = 10 if not FANUC_RJ3_COMPATIBLE else 6
Therefore, you'll be able to easily override the maximum of 6 characters.
I have the same problem. Where do these post processor values exist and how do you change them?
The following link shows how you can select or customize a post processor:
https://robodk.com/doc/en/Post-Processors.html