Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Ethernet connection not working (ABB related)

Question 
Hi, 

I'm trying to connect to an ABB 6400 28 200 with Robodk over ethernet. How can I find the IP of the ABB??

I've tried: 

Windows laptop + ethernet adapter to ABB 
Windows laptop + ethernet adapter to router (router doesn't find the ip under 192.168.1.1)

Macbook pro + other ethernet adapter to ABB
Macbookpro + other ethernet adapter to router (same issue)

Tried different cables. Scanned IP's  with angryscanner. 
Ipconfig / ifconfig all. 
Filezilla connection wizard gives no available connection to the ABB.

Is there a way to connect a screen to it or do I need a crossover cable for direct connection?
Hi quinten,
just to be sure, what exactly do you mean by finding the ip? Do you know your controllers ip and can not find the controller in your network or is the ip itself unknown to you?
I frankly have no experience with ABB but I think we can get you there. Have you had a look at the manual for your controller? There should be a section dealing with network settings and options. I only did a quick search in the web finding that ABB has an option called PC Interface for that purpose. Maybe that can give you a direction.
Question 
(04-07-2019, 11:44 PM)DavidG Wrote: Hi quinten,
just to be sure, what exactly do you mean by finding the ip? Do you know your controllers ip and can not find the controller in your network or is the ip itself unknown to you?
I frankly have no experience with ABB but I think we can get you there. Have you had a look at the manual for your controller? There should be a section dealing with network settings and options. I only did a quick search in the web finding that ABB has an option called PC Interface for that purpose. Maybe that can give you a direction.

Hi!

Well we don't know the IP of the robot. And we can't find it thru the network. 

What do you mean by the controllers IP, is that the IP of the handheld controller of the robot or do you mean the controller service running on the 'computer' of the robot. We looked at the paper manual (20 years old machine) and the online manual. I didn't found anything on the PC interface (what does this mean? - manual connect a screen to the PC interface?)

We tried the standard ip's and suggested ports but no luck. 

Kind regards!
Quote:We looked at the paper manual (20 years old machine)

Ok, that explains why it might not be plug-and-play ;-)
Is it one of these:
https://library.e.abb.com/public/4b47c4b...R_Rev3.pdf

What I mean by controller is probably what you meant by 'computer of the robot'. The newest version for ABB seems to be the IRC5 but considering the age of your robot it may be the S4C. Can you tell which one it is?
The name of the robot arm is not necessarily linked to a specific controller, so that would be important to know.
(04-08-2019, 10:05 AM)DavidG Wrote:
Quote:We looked at the paper manual (20 years old machine)

Ok, that explains why it might not be plug-and-play ;-)
Is it one of these:
https://library.e.abb.com/public/4b47c4b...R_Rev3.pdf

What I mean by controller is probably what you meant by 'computer of the robot'. The newest version for ABB seems to be the IRC5 but considering the age of your robot it may be the S4C. Can you tell which one it is?
The name of the robot arm is not necessarily linked to a specific controller, so that would be important to know.

I know it's this one IRB 6400R/2.8-200 which is also described in the document you attached.
It is the S4C. (based on images I found of the S4C)
According to what I found on the web the controller seems to be accessible via ftp-client.
I found an example using the following settings:

Your computer
TCP/IP:                  192.168.125.82
Subnet mask:               255.255.255.240
Standard gateway:            192.168.125.81

Ftp-client (e.g. FileZilla)
Server: 192.168.125.1
User: ABB
Password: 007

Please note that this is straight copy pasted from another board. Please also note that it seems to make a difference if you are using the S4C or the S4C+ controller. As I said before I have no experience with ABB at all, so this might be utterly wrong and misleading. It only sounded reasonable and worth a try. I do not think I can help you any further but wish you all the best. Maybe someone else can take over from here.
Hi there,

The IP address of an ABB robot can be found directly on the teach pendant, I never touched a SC4, but you should find that in the networking section.

Thanks for helping David, it's always appreciated.

Note that I will move this thread in the general discussion section later. I don't consider it to be a bug with RoboDK.

Jeremy