Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

From RoboDK into factory production

I have a project using a sensor that updates a series of targets in RoboDK. Everything is done in Python and the process works well when I'm running the UR10 robot from RoboDK.

I understand that if I create a basic pick/place routine in RoboDK I can generate a program and load into the UR10 pendant (operators can then run this program). When there's this sort of complexity (updating targets based on a scanning routine on a Python script) what's the best way to run this in production? 

My guess is that it would need a standalone PC with a RoboDK licence?
Hi Alan,

Yes, if you use Python script to update the target's position you need to have a link between RDK and the controller at all time, otherwise, you will lose the ability to update the targets in real time.

The good thing is that you generally don't need a powerful system to run RDK, therefore a mini PC could be hidden in the controller box or something like that.

Jeremy
(10-06-2020, 03:15 PM)Jeremy Wrote: Hi Alan,

Yes, if you use Python script to update the target's position you need to have a link between RDK and the controller at all time, otherwise, you will lose the ability to update the targets in real time.

The good thing is that you generally don't need a powerful system to run RDK, therefore a mini PC could be hidden in the controller box or something like that.

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for the response. Have you got any tips/experience with this kind of setup? 

I'm aiming for a nice user experience with no chance of screwing up the RoboDK programs!

Many thanks,

Alan
That depends a lot on what kind of interaction the actual user needs to have with RoboDK.

Using the API, you can create a simple interface with a few buttons if you want the user to only activate some python macro running in the background.
This way there is no way for the user to mess up the code.

You should take a look at this here as a starting point.
https://github.com/RoboDK/Plug-In-Interf...nAppLoader

Jeremy
(10-06-2020, 07:06 PM)Jeremy Wrote: That depends a lot on what kind of interaction the actual user needs to have with RoboDK.

Using the API, you can create a simple interface with a few buttons if you want the user to only activate some python macro running in the background.
This way there is no way for the user to mess up the code.

You should take a look at this here as a starting point.
https://github.com/RoboDK/Plug-In-Interf...nAppLoader

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy!