Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Get robot/mechanism joint types through Python API

Hey,

I am trying to get info about robot joint types through API. In documentation I only found that JointLimits() 3rd returned value should be type of robot/mechanism based on which I could deduce types of joints. 

But it is not well documented what that value means and how to interpret it. Thought it should correspond to a flag MAKE_ROBOT_* in documentation but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Made this example station with robot arm, linear and rotational mechanisms and got the following numbers for joint types:
robot - 1
linear mechanism - 7
rotational mechanism - 7

Attached example station with which I got the result

Attached Files
.rdk   test_joint_types.rdk (Size: 78.01 KB / Downloads: 151)
The 3rd return value of the joint limits function is not the same as the mechanism type.

The mechanism type allows you to build new robots or mechanisms. You can find more information here:
https://robodk.com/doc/en/PythonAPI/robo...dMechanism
So what that 3rd return value of JointLimits() means?
Or how I can find out types of joints of a robot/mechanism?
You can ignore the 3rd value. This value is related to specific robot brand joint coupling and joint senses.
ok, thank you for confirming that.
But is there a way using API to read what kind of robot joints (linear and/or rotational) robot/mechanism have?
Or maybe read what measurement units are for each joint? Either one of these would work in my case