Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

IP address change

Hello,

If the windows client running Robodk software and the robotic arm are on the same subnet, everything works. When I move the client (running windows 10) from an rfc1918 address space to a routed network, roboDK can ping the arm, but it cannot connect to it. 
Do I need to set the new IP address somewhere in the software?

Found this in the logs:
 "no subject found to connect to (subnet mask is 16): <IP address of the robotic arm>".

Thanks,
Irene
Hi Irene,

One of our dev took a quick look and it could be a bug on our end.
We'll see what we can do next week.

Jeremy
Find useful information about RoboDK and its features by visiting our Online Documentation and by watching tutorials on our Youtube Channel

Hi Irene,

I assume you are using a UR robot? Contrary to most robot controllers, UR requires the computer to be the server and the robot to be the client (usually it is the opposite), so the PC opens a server and the robot should be able to connect to the PC. Make sure your router is not blocking any ports and bring the IP of your PC in the same subnet.

If the issue persists, can you provide more information regarding how you establish the connection?

Albert
(11-24-2020, 08:21 PM)Albert Wrote: Hi Albert,

Thank you for your help on this matter.
I'm the network administrator trying to get this software to work for the students using the software and the robotic arm.

> I assume you are using a UR robot?
 UR5 from what I'm told.

>Contrary to most robot controllers, UR requires the computer to be the server and the robot to be the client > (usually it is the opposite), so the PC opens a server and the robot should be able to connect to the PC.

OK, I understand that.

> Make sure your router is not blocking any ports and bring the IP of your PC in the same subnet.

All firewall rules are open for the windows client and the robotic arm and their ports for TCP and UDP protocols.

When you said:  "bring the IP of your PC in the same subnet." Doesn't that mean to make sure the windows client and the robotic arm are on the same subnet? If that is the case, that answers my question as to why it won't work to have the arm on (rfc1918) 10.X.X.X and the windows client on 128.Y.Y.Y(world routable). They need to be on the same subnet to be able to communicate. It's not possible to do what I'm trying to do.

> If the issue persists, can you provide more information regarding how you establish the connection?
If the arm is on one subnet and the windows client is on another subnet, they can't connect because the software sets a netmask of 16 bits and the 2 networks are not in within that mask.
16 = 11111111 11111111 00000000 00000000 or 255.255.0.0

Is that true?
Thanks again for your time.