Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Making Curves Normal to a Surface without a CAD plug-in

Hey guys. We are working on a line to print material onto a plastic part with a stationary nozzle. I've been able to get the robot to follow the path using the Curve Follow Project. Where I'm having an issue is getting the robot to follow the normal contour of the curves. 

We use PTC Creo 4.0 CAD software, so we don't have a plug-in to easily teach the curves normal to surface. My question is: is there a way outside of using a plug-in (for Inventor, Fusion 360 or SolidWorks) to make the curve normal to the surface?
I've tried using some of the C:\RoboDK\Library\Scripts such as "Curve_Filter_AverageNormals", "Curve_Project_2_Surface" and "Curve_Change_Normals" but they don't seem to help. I've tried exporting the curve as points and importing it back in to try the scripts with. 

I'm just not finding a solution to making the curves be normal to the surfaces we need them to be. I'm using a STP file for my part, but when I import the STEP file the curves do not import with the solid surfaces. So I'm using a STP of the solid part and an IGS file for the curves and aligning them.

Please let me know if there is a solution I just haven't found yet or if you need further information/explanation as to what I'm trying to do.

Thank you,
Josh