Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Map a mechanism to a python script

I have setup a motor (1 rotative axis mechanism) along with a robot. I want the motor shaft to rotate by the required amount whenever the 'Extrude' function is called (length of filament extruded is the argument it passes).
You can control any number of mechanism axes using a python script. I attached an example to control a conveyor in a roboDK station. You can apply the same logic to a rotative axis

Attached Files
.rdk   script_conveyor.rdk (Size: 115.07 KB / Downloads: 104)

.rdk   RDK_StartThreadQuery.rdk (Size: 1.89 MB / Downloads: 92)
(11-09-2023, 12:44 PM)Alex Wrote: You can take a look at the following example with a conveyor. You can apply the same logic to a rotative axis

Thank you! I was able to make the mechanism work when the script is simply called. However, when I try to run the script as thread, it says Python script interrupted. I have included the RDK file. Please let me know what has to be corrected to make it work.
How do you run the script as a thread? It seems to work when you run the 3D printing program.

To have a more realistic simulation I recommend you to adjust the speed of your mechanism to the robot speed and make the movement not blocking. Example:
Code:
mechanism.setSpeed(extrusion_speed, extrusion_speed)
mechanism.MoveJ(new_joints, False)
In the program events, the Extruder is setup as a thread instead of a program call.

When the script is run as a thread, 'python script interrupted' is displayed at the bottom left. The robot nevertheless keeps moving.
OK I understand what you mean. However, you should run Extruder as a program call (default behavior), not as a thread.

If you run it as a thread, the next time that Extruder is called it forces to stop the previous execution. I recommend you to run it as a program call (default behavior) and make the MoveJ movement not blocking.