Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Mastercam 2023 NCI/Tool Orientation Issues

I am looking to perform a 5-axis surfacing operation on a complex surface. This will ultimately be used for an additive process and as a requirement the tool has to remain normal to the part surface for the duration of the operation. I was able to manually install the RoboDK Mastercam plugin using the provided documentation, but I've run into an interesting set of issues.

I can successfully load my part from Mastercam to RoboDK, but when I attempt to update selected operations I get a "nothing to simulate. Operation aborted" message. I found in the forums where other users have resolved this issue by changing the Mastercam post from NCI to NC in the "RoboDK Settings" window.

I changed my post from NCI to NC and was able to successfully output my operation to RoboDK, but using this method the tool orientation remains constant along the Z axis instead of staying normal to the surface during the operation. I found in the forums where other users have resolved this by changing the Mastercam post from NC to NCI, which as stated above is not currently a solution for me.

I seem to be stuck between two issues that have been independently resolved but collectively have not been resolved. Any advice/support on outputting a 5-axis toolpath while preserving tool orientation between Mastercam and RoboDK would be greatly appreciated.

I've watched the 3-axis and 5-axis tutorials available on Youtube which have been very helpful for importing my part and toolpath, however neither of them provide any insight into this particular issue I'm experiencing.
Can you send us the NCI file of your machining operations? We can better investigate.

If you could also send us the RDK project we can also take a better look.
I too am getting the same error message "Nothing to simulate. Operation aborted" when attempting to "Update selected operations" from Mastercam 2021 using NCI. I'm running Mastercam 'Router' machine type with 'Multi-Axis'. Any insight into resolving this error would be greatly appreciated.     

Apologies for the delayed response on my part - I found a work-around and have since been hard at work wrapping up this project. I am able to post a .NCI file using the 5-axis post processor that came with our company's C.R. Onsrud 5-axis hybrid mill (a 5 axis router as far as Mastercam is concerned). I can then load the .NCI file into RoboDK as a Robot Machining Program and I get my 5-axis toolpath with proper adaptive tool orientation exactly as I want.
I'm basically bypassing the plugin and saving my .NCI file locally, then manually loading it into RoboDK. The biggest surprise is that my C.R. Onsrud 5-axis post processor outputs a file that RoboDK can properly interpret, but maybe that says more about my experience with post-processors than anything else.
At one point I was able to successfully post NCI directly from RoboDK into Mastercam using the plugin. The only difference I can recall was the fact I was using a 'Mill' MC license and have since moved to 'Router'. Unfortunately, I'm unable to revert back to 'Mill' to validate my assumption.
The best setup to setup a robot machining project form Mastercam to RoboDK is to use the Milling options (Mill). Posting through the plugin or by saving an NCI file and loading it in RoboDK should give you the same result. I understand NCI are pre-processed native Mastercam files.

Alternatively, using G-code should also work, at least for 3-axis machining projects.
(12-01-2023, 06:17 PM)JWalden Wrote: Apologies for the delayed response on my part - I found a work-around and have since been hard at work wrapping up this project. I am able to post a .NCI file using the 5-axis post processor that came with our company's C.R. Onsrud 5-axis hybrid mill (a 5 axis router as far as Mastercam is concerned). I can then load the .NCI file into RoboDK as a Robot Machining Program and I get my 5-axis toolpath with proper adaptive tool orientation exactly as I want.
I'm basically bypassing the plugin and saving my .NCI file locally, then manually loading it into RoboDK. The biggest surprise is that my C.R. Onsrud 5-axis post processor outputs a file that RoboDK can properly interpret, but maybe that says more about my experience with post-processors than anything else.
Thank you for your feedback!