Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Milling round edges using curve follow project and SolidWorks plugin

Hi everyone,

I am working on a project, milling the edges and holes into thin carbon shells, using a UR5e with a spindle.
When importing a curve from an hole Solidworks, using the plug in, the path looks like a square or a pentagon. I changed the “Linear Tolerance” in the RoboDK plug in settings, but its not getting any better. Is there an other way to change the resolution? When I import the part from Solidworks the edges look good.

Another question about the same topic: Is the a way to create the offset for the toolpath in RoboDK instead of Solidworks? I tried to use the alogorithm “Tool orientation follows path” in the “Curve Follow Project” and det the tool offset to half the cutter diameter bet the corners don’t look very good.

Thank for your help!
Hi Jesse,

Did you try lowering the Linear tolerance to 0.001? That should help. If not, there's another way I can propose.

For the offset, if you have the latest version of RoboDK, you can press "Ctrl"+"Shift"+"N" to access development features.
It should add a "Welding settings" to your Curve Follow Project (CFP) (you may need to close and open the CFP).
If you select that you will see 2 offset parameters.
You may also need to uncheck the "Approach and retract all curves" option in the CFP.

Jeremy
Find useful information about RoboDK and its features by visiting our Online Documentation and by watching tutorials on our Youtube Channel

Hi Jeremy,

thank you for you're quick reply!

Yes, I lowered the linear tolerance to 0.001 and the hole is still not round.

I have updated to the latest version and added "Welding settings" to my curve follow project. That's exactly what I needed! Thank you. I just wish, it would be possible to set an offset of 0,75. Right now it's only possible to enter one decimal place.... maybe in the future ;)
Hi,

Ok, thanks for your comment. I'll see for us to add one more decimal. It's a beta feature, so we are open to suggestions like this one.

You should look at this video around 17:00.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW2Pxz4RoYc

You can then use "Tools"->"Extract curve" and it should be more accurate if you set the import CAD settings properly.

If it doesn't work let me know, I have another, more obscure solution.

Jeremy
Find useful information about RoboDK and its features by visiting our Online Documentation and by watching tutorials on our Youtube Channel

Hey Jeremy,

I have tried the settings explained in the video. Even if I set everything to 0.001mm the round edges are still not better. So I’m very curious about you’re more obscure solution ?

For the moment I import the part and use “Extract curve” and the “welding settings” which works for now. But I would prefer to import the curves from SolidWorks!

Thanks for your Help!
Cheers, Jesse
Go to: C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Roaming\RoboDK
Open "Plugin-SolidWorks.ini" in a text editor.
Set HighPrecisionMode=true

You will have access to much more decimals for the linear tolerance, which should provide more precision.

Jeremy