Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Minimize Robot movement with 7th axis rotation

Hello, I have a robot welding project where the workpiece is gripped by a rotational chuck. The z-axis of the chuck is in the same direction with the y-axis of the robot base. 

The robot will move a circular path on the workpiece. The goal is to minimize the robot x and z movement by maximizing the chuck rotation.

I've added the 7th axis as a mechanism and synchronized it as external axes. 

So far I've tried all combination on the 'Turntable Optimization' in the machining project but none of them make the chuck rotate as we need. The robot is always doing all the work and the additional axis doesn't moves at all

The library example 5.c is something like what we need, but I can't manage to achieve it. Will that be something to do with my NC path?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

If you can share your station we can help better.

Please take a look at the station I attached:

Attached Files
.rdk   saddle_welding.rdk (Size: 2 MB / Downloads: 88)
(10-12-2023, 08:59 AM)Sergei Wrote: If you can share your station we can help better.

Please take a look at the station I attached:

Hi Sergei,

Sorry for the late reply, I thought the forum will give me a notification if there is any reply.

Thank you for you help! Your station is very close to what I want to achieve, path 1 is especially helpful. What we ultimately want is to keep the robot moving in only one direction.

I'll study through your station to find out how you set them up. If you can give some walkthrough will be great as well!

I've attached my station here, the 'Plasma Path' is what we're having issue with. Once I added the 7th turntable axis in the path become a mess.

Attached Files
.rdk   Weld and Plasma.rdk (Size: 4.8 MB / Downloads: 118)
To create the program to cut the hole I took the following steps:

1. Separate the part from the positioner

2. Create a work frame and attach it to the positioner flange

3. Attach the part to the work frame

4. Using 'Tools->Create curves' and 'Tools->Modify curves' I built a cutting path

5. Then I created a new CFP project 'Plasma_new' in which I used the created work frame and the created curves.

6. For optimization I used the 'Minimum tool orientation change' algorithm with zero tolerance on rotation around the Z axis.

7. For the positioner, I used the 'Keep position' strategy with the 'Full compensation' option - this is one of the possible simple ways to minimize robot movements when working with a positioner like yours. An alternative is 'Smart optimization' with absolute or relative priorities for axis movements when moving along a path. 

Attached Files
.rdk   Weld and Plasma_mod.rdk (Size: 4.8 MB / Downloads: 119)
(10-18-2023, 01:00 PM)Sergei Wrote: To create the program to cut the hole I took the following steps:

1. Separate the part from the positioner

2. Create a work frame and attach it to the positioner flange

3. Attach the part to the work frame

4. Using 'Tools->Create curves' and 'Tools->Modify curves' I built a cutting path

5. Then I created a new CFP project 'Plasma_new' in which I used the created work frame and the created curves.

6. For optimization I used the 'Minimum tool orientation change' algorithm with zero tolerance on rotation around the Z axis.

7. For the positioner, I used the 'Keep position' strategy with the 'Full compensation' option - this is one of the possible simple ways to minimize robot movements when working with a positioner like yours. An alternative is 'Smart optimization' with absolute or relative priorities for axis movements when moving along a path. 

Thanks Sergei,

Now I managed to replicate the path myself.

I noticed that you create a curve instead of using NC code, is there any advantages for this?
When a curve is used instead of G code, it can be modified directly in RoboDK (split, normal tilt, etc ) and handled as a 3D object. This is a more flexible method, but in some cases G code is better (e.g. when minor changes in the trajectory are unacceptable when extracting a curve from the model and this cannot be compensated by settings).