Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Need help with external axis synchronization

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to simulate a simple 5-axis CNC-machine with 3 axis on the machine (X,Y,RX) and 2 on a turntable (Z, RZ). My goal is to program a simple CAM path created with Fusion 360. I'm able to synchronize the machine with the turntable, but whenever calculating trajectories for the machining project, I get an error stating that the robot cannot reach all targets in its path. It seems that the robot is not properly optimizing the use of Z axis. If possible I'd like the configuration this way. The RX in the machine is not that important at the moment

I have tried several robot models in combination (including modeling the Z and RZ separately) and all the preset external axis optimization parameters with no luck. Modeling the Z axis into the machine (leaving RZ to the turntable) works, but feels kind of like cheating.

Please find the attached project.

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.rdk   dmu80t.rdk (Size: 1.08 MB / Downloads: 345)
Hi SamS,

I don't think you will be able to achieve any interesting results using RDK for a setup like yours.
Our external axis optimization feature was really built toward a 6-axis robot installed on a linear rail or hooked to a turn table.

@Albert : Any thoughts on that?

Jeremy
Find useful information about RoboDK and its features by visiting our Online Documentation and by watching tutorials on our Youtube Channel