Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Older Staubli Rx90 model (CS7 vintage)

Hello,

After a few failed attempts at getting RoboDk working with my robot arm, I found the RoboDk library's Staubli Rx90B arm's software model is quite different from my pre-B series arm. My arm is the standard Rx90 from 1994 (not long-arm model).  

Physically it seems it's the same arm, but the software locations of various axis are quite different from my arm.  I attribute this to Staubli changing their controllers from their original Adept models.  While it's possible mine was customized for some reason, I don't think that is the case.   

I spent some time moving joints on my arm to their most extended rotations, recorded those, and rebuilt the Rx90 model in Robodk.  

If RoboDk or anyone else would like a file with a copy of this model I'm happy to share.  It would likely save someone else with an older machine some time, and provide more options in RoboDk's library.

Other tips for users of older Staubli arms:  Be sure to select the correct post processor.  The "Staubli" posts listed under Staubli not work with the Adept controllers.  Try looking under Adept - Adept Staubli V+ Custom.  That worked best for me, although I had to snip out a few lines of code preceeding the machining locations.  

I suspect the Adept V+ post might work also, but have not tried it.  

Mostly, I mention this because Staubli users might only be looking under the Staubli name, as opposed to Adept.  I'm not sure the best way to improve this, other than to include the Adept Staubli V+ custom post with the rest of the Staubli posts.  I would make that change, as I can't see any Adept robot users wanting or needing the Staubli V+ post.  

Best,

David Earle
Hi David,
Thanks for your constructive post.
Could you link your new robot?

@Albert, could we rename the "Adept Staubli V+" post-processor so it reads "Staubli Adept V+" so it's listed with the other Staubli post-processor?

Jeremy
Find useful information about RoboDK and its features by visiting our Online Documentation and by watching tutorials on our Youtube Channel

(02-02-2022, 03:55 PM)Jeremy Wrote: Hi David,
Thanks for your constructive post.
Could you link your new robot?

@Albert, could we rename the "Adept Staubli V+" post-processor so it reads "Staubli Adept V+" so it's listed with the other Staubli post-processor?

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

Here's a link to my model for the pre-2000 Staubli Rx90.  Staubli does not have much archived info about their machines on their website, but I gather the RX90B model that Robodk showed up around the year 2000.  (I'm basing this on nameplates from various Rx90 & Rx90B arms being marketed on Ebay.  

This should be very helpful to anyone with an older machine.  I can't guarantee it's perfect, but will be happy to do more tests if you ask me what to do.  It benefits everyone to have an accurate model.  For me, it could have been a safety issue as the Rx90B model did very unpredictable things.  

If you like you can make up a program and I can film/measure/record positions on my machine.  

The new model seems to work really well for me now.   I've been testing out some 3D milling with a small router.  The link should be good for at least one year.  

https://www.davidturnswood.com/tmp/Rx90%...202000.rdk

The only other funny thing I've had happen is that when RoboDk makes up a program with the Adept / Staubli custom post processor, it always stops at 99% when it should finish and close out.  The program it makes DOES work, however.  

Thanks for running a great forum!

Best,

David Earle
Great thanks.
Do you mean that RDK is closing? Or just the program generation process? Do you have a .rdk station we could use to replicate the issue?

If you ever have videos of the robot working feel free to send them. We are always happy to see a robot in action.

Jeremy
Find useful information about RoboDK and its features by visiting our Online Documentation and by watching tutorials on our Youtube Channel

(02-09-2022, 09:45 PM)Jeremy Wrote: Great thanks.
Do you mean that RDK is closing? Or just the program generation process? Do you have a .rdk station we could use to replicate the issue?

If you ever have videos of the robot working feel free to send them. We are always happy to see a robot in action.

Jeremy

Just the program generation process is closing.  RoboDk continues to work.   

The station I shared in the link leads to this error on my computer.  (Asus laptop running Windows 8.1 64).
You didn't attach anything.

Btw I took, a quick look at your website, nice work.
Let me know if those colorful tops are back in stock at some point. XD

Jeremy

(02-10-2022, 06:59 PM)Jeremy Wrote: You didn't attach anything.

Btw I took, a quick look at your website, nice work.
Let me know if those colorful tops are back in stock at some point. XD

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy,

If you would like some tops feel free to shoot me an email.  As far as tops go, I can make anything I've made before.  I can also just have fun with it and send some surprises.  I can email you back with some examples of recent work.  

I can't send a RoboDk station w the glitch right now as I'm not at home, but I'll try and get round to it later in the week.  

David
Just sent you an email.

Jeremy

(02-17-2022, 09:38 PM)Jeremy Wrote: Just sent you an email.

Jeremy

Wrote you back a few days ago - figured it may have ended up in your junk mail.  davidturnswood@gmail or davidturnswood@hotmail maybe.
No, I got it.
Just got flooded with emails (as usual), hope to get back to you this week.

Jeremy