Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Omron TM remote control problems

Hi, 

we have some troubles with Omron TM5-700 and RoboDK (edu license): USB stick works fine, but commands via Ethernet does not work. 

What we have:
- RoboDK connects to Robot.
- Ping works.
- After pressing "Move joints" robot starts moving to a new position, but RoboDK returns an error in log ('Non-type object is not iterable'). 
- After pressing "Get position" RoboDK returns infinite "Sending command.." and nothing happens.
- After pressing "POSXYZ" robot disconnects and an error is returned ('Failed to connect[ModbusTCP client(192.168.10.2:502)]').

Software configs:
- latest version of RoboDK (v5.6.7) and fresh edu license;
- version of TM Driver (v1.5.2);
- Windows Firewall is off;
- TM Flow (v1.88);
- Python interpreter in RoboDK: Python-Embedded;
- Modbus and Ethernet are enabled in TM Flow (Robot was restarted after enabling); 
- Robot' IP-address is static and is 192.168.10.2;
- Robot is in listening mode.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Did you try connecting to different Ehternet ports on the controller?

I understand that only one of the ports of the Omron-TM controller allows you to have a modbus connection and control the robot. We'll be adding a clear error message with the next version when a Modbus connection to the Omron-TM controller is not possible.
(12-24-2023, 11:12 AM)Albert Wrote: Did you try connecting to different Ehternet ports on the controller?

I understand that only one of the ports of the Omron-TM controller allows you to have a modbus connection and control the robot. We'll be adding a clear error message with the next version when a Modbus connection to the Omron-TM controller is not possible.

We used the only working ASIX AX88179 USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter #4 (the same one is used in video tutorials for Omron by RoboDK)

(12-24-2023, 11:12 AM)Albert Wrote: Did you try connecting to different Ehternet ports on the controller?

And I also tried directly sending a new position command to robot via Hercules software and it worked.
I've linked a copy of the TM flow manual, on page 119 it describes how to to enable TCP Modbus, is it possible that only the RTU modbus was enabled. RoboDK relies on the TCP modbus to poll the robots position and determine when a move is completed, so while it could send a move it wouldn't be able to determine it's completion (hence the errors)

https://assets.omron.eu/downloads/manual...ual_en.pdf
(12-27-2023, 03:02 AM)Phillip Wrote: I've linked a copy of the TM flow manual, on page 119 it describes how to to enable TCP Modbus, is it possible that only the RTU modbus was enabled. RoboDK relies on the TCP modbus to poll the robots position and determine when a move is completed, so while it could send a move it wouldn't be able to determine it's completion (hence the errors)

https://assets.omron.eu/downloads/manual...ual_en.pdf

Phillip,

thank you for sharing a link, but TCP is ON (attached image).  
I also used TCP for communicating directly from Hercules to Omron via Ethernet - it is possible to move robot, set D/A IO values etc. (attached image) .

I think the version of pymodbus may be incompatible with our driver, can navigate to C:\RoboDK\Python-Embedded and then run "python -m pip list" and copy the results for me?
(12-29-2023, 09:44 PM)Phillip Wrote: I think the version of pymodbus may be incompatible with our driver, can navigate to C:\RoboDK\Python-Embedded and then run "python -m pip list" and copy the results for me?

Yes, sure.
I attached a file with all the pip packages (pymodbus is 3.4.1).

Attached Files
.txt   Packages.txt (Size: 2.15 KB / Downloads: 50)
Great, thanks for the feedback. Could you try using pymodbus version 2.4.0? 

You can install this by running these commands using a console window:
Code:
cd C:\RoboDK\Python-Embedded
python -m pip install pymodbus==2.4.0
You may not have issues with the driver using this version.
(01-04-2024, 04:10 PM)Phillip Wrote: Great, thanks for the feedback. Could you try using pymodbus version 2.4.0? 

You can install this by running these commands using a console window:
Code:
cd C:\RoboDK\Python-Embedded
python -m pip install pymodbus==2.4.0
You may not have issues with the driver using this version.

After installing pymodbus 2.4.0 it says: 

"Unexpected error: ImportError: cannot import name 'ModbusTcpClient' from 'pymodbus.client' (C:\RoboDK\Python-Embedded\lib\site-packages\pymodbus\client\__init__.py)"

Can you contact us though our contact form and mention this thread? We can setup a technical call to solve this issue.