Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Possible to create a digital Twin for a 5-axis-Milling machine?

Hello,

I know RoboDK focusses on robots, but would it be possible to build a digital Twin of a 5 axis milling machine and load a machining project?

Blessings
Alex
depends on what the 5-axis kinematic looks like.

is it a 3-axis cartesian gantry with 2 rotative axes at the end?
Kind of like that: https://robodk.com/robot/Reis/RL130P-CNC

Jeremy?
Find useful information about RoboDK and its features by visiting our Online Documentation and by watching tutorials on our Youtube Channel

Thank you Jeremy,
It's not exactly the same. Our machine has got x, y, z, A1, A2 and C
X,Y,Z matches your example. A1 is turning around X on the tool-side and A2 is turning around X on the table-side. C is turning the table around Z ( So it's 6 axis)
Honestly, it might be possible to build it, but I'm not sure that RDK's feature would work well with such kinematics.
It's kind of a 4-axis robot + a 2 axis positioner.

Jeremy
Find useful information about RoboDK and its features by visiting our Online Documentation and by watching tutorials on our Youtube Channel

(02-11-2022, 03:02 PM)Jeremy Wrote: Honestly, it might be possible to build it, but I'm not sure that RDK's feature would work well with such kinematics.
It's kind of a 4-axis robot + a 2 axis positioner.

Jeremy

Ok. Thank you.

Blessings
Alex
(02-11-2022, 11:58 AM)Jeremy Wrote: depends on what the 5-axis kinematic looks like.

is it a 3-axis cartesian gantry with 2 rotative axes at the end?
Kind of like that: https://robodk.com/robot/Reis/RL130P-CNC

Jeremy?

Hi Jeremy,

and how did you model that robot? Did you just combine a 3 axis H-Bot with an tilt-turntable at the flange and saved it as a new machine? Or is there another way to model (3+x)-kinematics in robodk and im a just too blind to find the feature?

I hope to hear from you soon, because I just want to model a machine, like in that picture (3 linear+2 rotational axis).

Best regrads,
Martin
Hi Martin,

This one was created by "hard coding" it using a Matlab internal tool we have to create "special" robot.
But we will add this specific kinematic (3P2R) to our "Create mechanisms and robots" feature in the near future.
If you own a professional version of RoboDK, you can contact us through "Help"->"Request support" and I will give you beta access to it.

Jeremy

(04-07-2022, 05:09 PM)Jeremy Wrote: Hi Martin,

This one was created by "hard coding" it using a Matlab internal tool we have to create "special" robot.
But we will add this specific kinematic (3P2R) to our "Create mechanisms and robots" feature in the near future.
If you own a professional version of RoboDK, you can contact us through "Help"->"Request support" and I will give you beta access to it.

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

I understand... But this means, that you can kind of export kinematics form matlab/python to the .robot -file format, right?

Unfortunatly I/we just have an educational licence of the institute im working at as a reseach assistent (TU Braunschweig - Institute for machin tools and production technology). Is it still possible to get the beta access for the "3P2R-robot"?

Martin
It's not possible for ppl outside of our dev team to do so.

This feature will be released in a future version.

Jeremy