Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Printing 3D with a Robot

Hello,

I am currently working on a project that involves 3D printing using a KUKA KR3 R540 robot, a REVO HEMERA XS extruder, and a ramps 1.4 control board. However, I am facing synchronization issues between the robot and the extruder, and I'm not proficient in programming.

I am seeking assistance on how to synchronize the movements of the robot and the extruder in real-time. Can anyone provide guidance or sample code to help me achieve this synchronization? Any relevant information or resources would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
If the ramps board is just regulating the extruder, no other purpose, then you only need to set up an input on that board. It would get triggered by a digital output from the robot controller. If you have these signals in use already, maybe the problem is in the ramps board trying to regulate the print incorrectly.
I recommend you to take a look at the 3D printing section of our default KUKA KRC2 post processor.

You'll find a section for parameters specific to 3D printing. I recommend you to use the extruder as an external axis to properly interpolate your extruder as an axis. When generating code for 3D printing you'll see the E value wich represents the position of the extruder motor. If you use your extruder as an external axsi, the E value in your G-code will be output as E1 (for a 6-axis robot).
Code:
# Parameters for 3D printing
# Use a synchronized external axis as an extruder (E1, E2, ... or the last available axis)
# EXTAXIS_EXTRUDER = False
EXTAXIS_EXTRUDER = True
(04-15-2023, 09:15 PM)Jose Wrote: Olá,

atualmente estou trabalhando em um projeto que envolve impressão 3D usando um robô KUKA KR3 R540, uma extrusora REVO HEMERA XS e uma placa de controle de rampas 1.4. No entanto, estou enfrentando problemas de sincronização entre o robô e a extrusora e não sou proficiente em programação.

Estou buscando ajuda sobre como sincronizar os movimentos do robô e da extrusora em tempo real. Alguém pode fornecer orientação ou código de exemplo para me ajudar a conseguir essa sincronização? Qualquer informação ou recurso relevante seria muito apreciado.

Obrigado.

(04-15-2023, 09:15 PM)José Wrote: I am new to the world of 3D Printing. Could you tell me how to set up the board using the digital output?

Thank you very much.

(04-16-2023, 06:40 PM)Albert Wrote: I recommend you to take a look at the 3D printing section of our default KUKA KRC2 post processor.

You'll find a section for parameters specific to 3D printing. I recommend you to use the extruder as an external axis to properly interpolate your extruder as an axis. When generating code for 3D printing you'll see the E value wich represents the position of the extruder motor. If you use your extruder as an external axsi, the E value in your G-code will be output as E1 (for a 6-axis robot).
Code:
# Parameters for 3D printing
# Use a synchronized external axis as an extruder (E1, E2, ... or the last available axis)
# EXTAXIS_EXTRUDER = False
EXTAXIS_EXTRUDER = True

Does this solution allow for synchronization between the extruder and the robot? Does it enable real-time 3D Printing?

Thank you very much, and I apologize for my naivety on this matter.

(04-16-2023, 05:15 PM)Karl Wrote: If the ramps board is just regulating the extruder, no other purpose, then you only need to set up an input on that board. It would get triggered by a digital output from the robot controller. If you have these signals in use already, maybe the problem is in the ramps board trying to regulate the print incorrectly.

I am new to the world of 3D Printing. Could you tell me how to set up the board using the digital output?

Thank you very much.
You can request the Kuka I/O connection manual from your robot distributor. Same for the extrusion head. 

When you wire the extruder and map Kuka's signals you'll be able to control your extruder by robot program.

RoboDK has special I/O instructions to handle the digital/analog IOs: