Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Remote TCP

Hello, I have been trying to set up a remote TCP for a dispense path in my project. I am attempting to model a robot dispensing material via a stand alone dispense stand. 

I can define a reference position in space relative to the robot base without issue, but I can't seem to find a way to get the robot path to run relative to it as a TCP. 

How I have it set up now, the robot programs generate correctly positionally, but the robot path during playback moves relative to the robot carried TCP and not the reference frame.

I have found threads about using solidworks or cam plugins for robot machining applications but this doesn't totally relate to what I'm doing.

Is there a way to create a remote TCP that the robot can move relative to?
Hi Andrew,

I hope you are well.
For remote TCP applications, you need to use a Curve Follow Project (CFP). (Robot Machining project also works)
To create a CFP "Utilities"->"Curve Follow Project".

In the CFP window, you will find an "Algorithm" dropdown menu.
You can choose either "Robot holds object" or "Robot holds object and follows path".

To use a CFP you need to have a curve, it can either be extracted from the 3D model of the part (directly in RDK or using a supported CAD software) or by creating your own curve as a .txt or .csv file.

For more info I recommend you take a look at these 2 tutorials:
Remote TCP
https://youtu.be/YrepmoQtNnA
CAD to path
https://youtu.be/oW2Pxz4RoYc

Have a great day.
Jeremy
I did see the the CFP option. I was hoping to not have to do it in a secondary program.

Some of the dispense projects that I work on will have 50 beads plus motion in between that needs to be accounted for to move around the part.

Is there anyway to use the CFP option and setting up/modifying the curve path in RoboDK directly?

It would be awesome to have the option to reorient around a non carried TCP. Would this be better to post in feature requests? There are a lot of automotive applications that utilize non carried dispense and spot welding applications.
Hi Andrew, 

Would you be able to send a picture (can be just a print screen of the part) or anything that could give me a better idea of the process you are trying to achieve so that I can point you in the best direction? 

Quote:I was hoping to not have to do it in a secondary program.

You mean not having to use one of the CAD software?
Again, that's possible, but I would need to see your part and the trajectory you are trying to achieve. 

Jeremy
Sorry for the late follow up.

It is quite common in automotive to have various process that are not directly carried by the robot. Dispense, spot welding, stud welding, etc.

These processes typically use a non carried TCP, or a Remote TCP(RTCP), depending on the robot manufacturer the name is different. The actual application path is not always something that can be exported. In the case of a spot welder, the concern is that the robot will handle motion on points between the spots in a different manner then it would using a carried TCP. It will rotate around the non carried tcp and its motion, acc/dec, speed are all relative to this non moving TCP.

So it's not a matter of exporting a path from a cad program, its a matter of appropriately matching the robots real life motion path with a non carried TCP/RTCP, which robodk won't currently do.

Perhaps this should be a feature request?
Hi Andrew,

What about a quick chat later this week?
This way I can show you exactly what we can and can't do and we could identify the gaps we should cover first.
Send me a private message.

Jeremy
Find useful information about RoboDK and its features by visiting our Online Documentation and by watching tutorials on our Youtube Channel

Hi,
Was there a solution to jogging the robot about the Remote TCP in RoboDK?