Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Robot recommendations

Hello robotics wizards. I apologize if this has been asked before. I want to machine large scale patterns for composite molds. Since the workpiece materials are relatively soft and 5-axis would be needed I'm looking into using a robot with roboDK+Fusion. I'm a one man engineering company so budget is a bit limited. Do you have any recommendations for what models of (used) robots and controllers I should start looking for? It would be nice to be able to machine at least 2x1 meter components. 

I have a lot of experience with machining but very limited experience with robotics. 

Any help appreciated.
Prices of robots and availability highly depends on where you are located. I recommend you to use the filters of our library to find suitable robots for your application. For example, you can filter robots with a reach between 1.5-3 m and payload from 100 to 400 kg:
https://robodk.com/library#filter?reach=...oad=95-400

What spindle are you planning to use? What forces are you planning to apply on the tool?

If you are on a limited budget and you don't mind purchasing a used robot, we see a lot of used KUKA robots with robot machining applications. For example, the KUKA KR210 has a reach of 3m a decent payload and I believe it can allow you to cover the size you mentioned. I recommend you to open the robot in RoboDK, place one of your parts in your project and manually check reachability (for example, holding Alt and grabbing the tool can give you a quick idea of the robot dexterity).

Other brands such as ABB, Comau, Fanuc, Yaskawa/Motoman, Staubli can also be a good choice (new or used).
(03-03-2024, 09:31 AM)Albert Wrote: Prices of robots and availability highly depends on where you are located. I recommend you to use the filters of our library to find suitable robots for your application. For example, you can filter robots with a reach between 1.5-3 m and payload from 100 to 400 kg:
https://robodk.com/library#filter?reach=...oad=95-400

What spindle are you planning to use? What forces are you planning to apply on the tool?

If you are on a limited budget and you don't mind purchasing a used robot, we see a lot of used KUKA robots with robot machining applications. For example, the KUKA KR210 has a reach of 3m a decent payload and I believe it can allow you to cover the size you mentioned. I recommend you to open the robot in RoboDK, place one of your parts in your project and manually check reachability (for example, holding Alt and grabbing the tool can give you a quick idea of the robot dexterity).

Other brands such as ABB, Comau, Fanuc, Yaskawa/Motoman, Staubli can also be a good choice (new or used).

Thank you for your input. I haven't decided on spindle yet but I have been using teknomotor in other builds so I probably go with them. Not sure what forces are realistic. I imagine chatter and deflection both can be a problem. I will have a look at the stats of the Kuka KR210 and see if there is something similar for sale. Seems to be mostly ABB for sale around here. 

Great, will definitely do the set up in your software as you suggested.