Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Setting Approach and Retract to [0,0,+Z] thorugh API

Information 
Hey RoboDK,

Would you be able to inform me about how to set the approach or retract for a program to [0,0,+Z] through the API. I attempted using XYZ with 0 0 {value} however this ended up being the XYZ relative.

Thanks
We just updated RoboDK to support setting both relative and absolute offsets of your robot machining projects using the RoboDK API.

Similar to your other question here:
https://robodk.com/forum/Thread-Setting-...hrough-API

You can now do something like this to add relative XYZ and absolute XYZ movements respectively:

Code:
from robolink import *
RDK = Robolink()
m = RDK.Item('', ITEM_TYPE_MACHINING)
print(m.setParam("ApproachRetract", "XYZ 10 20 100 ; AbsXYZ 0 0 200"))
Hey Albert,

Thanks for the information. I have updated and tested this however XYZ Abs is not the functionality that I am looking for. I am specifically looking to use the [0,0,+Z] approach option through the API to get the desired response. Can you let me know how to set the [0, 0, +Z] approach through the API?

This is the result from XYZ Abs (incorrect)

This is the result from [0, 0, +Z] (requried)

You should then use a relative XYZ (same as 0,0,+Z). Example:

Code:
from robolink import *
RDK = Robolink()
m = RDK.Item('', ITEM_TYPE_MACHINING)
print(m.setParam("ApproachRetract", "XYZ 0 0 100"))
Hey Albert,

Thanks for the information though this has assisted in identifying an issue that I hadn't noticed. The goal with this was to obtain an approach that would be relative to the robot's reference frame such that it would move in its own +Z for the approach and retract. While the relative XYZ would work for standard parts, a large portion of the parts that we are using through this project are designed in CAD in the +X direction meaning that they are rotated to face upwards in RoboDK. Since this occurs, the relative XYZ (as expected) provides an approach relative to the original part Z axis which does not align with the robot Z axis. Can an approach be added or are there any approaches available that would provide a robot relative Z axis approach?

Thanks,

Joseph