Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Simulating a robot controlled trunnion

Hello!

I am hoping you guys could answer a question for me. I am considering getting RoboDK for a few projects we have coming up but both of them involve trunnions like the ones in the video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2g6wRBpZRw

I don't see any videos or anything in the documentation that discusses trunnions specifically. (we would be using a 3 axis trunnion for these projects, similar to the video) I just wanted to make sure the software is capable of simulating this sort of device and it is capable of being controlled by the robot program before we purchase a license.

Let me know what you think.
Thanks,
Jesse
Hello jesse

There shouldn't be any problems using a 3 axis trunnion, you can simulate multiple axis external positioners in RoboDK.
Do you intent to use it as a positioner or as a synchronized external axis with the robot?

Olivier
In this case we would just be using it as a positioner. I'll give it a go and see how it works.

Thanks!
Hi Jesse,

I hope you are doing well.
Are you on a free trial version or did you purchase a RoboDK license?

I'm asking because you shouldn't have any problem simulation your system with the Trunnion, but to generate the actual code required for your robot and external axis, you might need some small customizations to the post-processor.
Post-processor are generally open and can be modified by the user, but it can be a bit tricky to do so when you are new with RoboDK.
We can help you with that, no cost added if you own a professional license.

Otherwise, for your tests, you can simply manually position the external axis to a specific position and generate a "standard" 6-axis code for the welding process.

Jeremy