Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Teach Target on Surface Issue

Hi everyone,

I'm new to RoboDK and am interested in using it for 3D printing/liquid dispensing applications

I am going through and learning the different fundamentals, and importantly am trying to learn how to use the "Teach Target on Surface" function. 

From my understanding, when this function is activated, I should be able to move my cursor over the surface and a "ghost" of the robot flange+tool will be traced. Unfortunately, in my situation that is not really happening. It's weirdly doing it on the sides of the surface (a simple floor I imported from CAD--see attached picture for context)

Otherwise when I hover over the floor which is my targeted surface, it notes I "cannot reach the target surface". I get the same error if I do or don't create a new reference frame which I group the target surface (floor) under.

Hopefully, it's a simple fix, but I haven't see any tips on how to get around this.
I think I know what's going on.
Your TCP Z axis in pointing toward the tool instead of outward.
The teach target on surface is built so that it tries to match the Z axis "in" the surface your are hovering on top of.
And I think the reason why you see the robot flat like that is because it's out of reach for the robot to be pointing underneath your surface.

You can either flip your tool Z axis, or change (rotate) the red or green wheel 180 degrees (I would recommend the first option).

Jeremy
Find useful information about RoboDK and its features by visiting our Online Documentation and by watching tutorials on our Youtube Channel

(12-18-2021, 03:43 PM)Jeremy Wrote: I think I know what's going on.
Your TCP Z axis in pointing toward the tool instead of outward.
The teach target on surface is built so that it tries to match the Z axis "in" the surface your are hovering on top of.
And I think the reason why you see the robot flat like that is because it's out of reach for the robot to be pointing underneath your surface.

You can either flip your tool Z axis, or change (rotate) the red or green wheel 180 degrees (I would recommend the first option).

Jeremy

That fixed it. Thanks for the quick reply!