Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Updating Program with Coordinate Measuring Machine

I own a small metalworking shop, and I’m looking to automate some of our processes with a robotic welder. We have 3D models for everything we weld, and I plan to use RoboDK for programming.

Due to minor differences in fit tolerances, I’d like to add real-world reference points taken from the assembled part to update the pre-saved RoboDK toolpath before welding. I’m considering using a coordinate measuring machine (CMM) like the Quantum Max FaroArm to collect the points.

Does this approach seem feasible? I assume it would require some API integration, which is not an issue. Aside from using a cobot or a 3D laser scanner, would there be a better way to collect real-world points? Due to the time required, I want to avoid manually moving the robot and collecting points with a teach pendant.
Can you share some sample 3D models? One option could be to integrate a probe in the tool and automatically probe the part to locate and adjust some features.

Also accuracy can have an influence on best practices: How accurate do you need to be? If you need high accuracy (under 0.5 mm) it would make sense to use a proper metrology system such as the Faro Arm or a high end scanner. You could then load the point cloud in RoboDK as a text file or as a mesh.

If you don't need such high accuracy, you could use other systems such as a Depth camera or an RGBD camera like the Intel RealSense.