Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Video card/ Graphics card Nvidia Quadro low performance

Lightbulb 
Hello There,

I wanted to share a little struggle that some might have

I run RoboDK on a laptop with Intel and Nvidia Quadro graphics cards. Turns out that RoboDK underperforms if I run it with the Nvidia Quadro (with the latest Nvidia drivers). 

I found something very curious. If you run the Direct 3D or OpenGL modes of RoboDK it underperforms anyways; sometimes crashes. (RoboDK-D3D and RoboDK-GL2 in the bin folder)

It will be amazing to understand the  3D settings of the app to take advantage of the resources. Can any of you indicate which rendering engine the app runs? we could get more stability and performance from the system by knowing the 3D settings that the app performs the best.

I downgraded the Nvidia drivers to WDDM 2.2 windows certified drivers for the Quadro and intel HD, and the rendering performance increased. But still, I have to run roboDK with the Intel HD graphics card using the default "RoboDK.exe" application in the bin folder.

I had to stick to old drivers to get stability, but other software might suffer by using old drivers, something that with time will be hard to keep. 

Hopes this helps others. 

Best,
Josue

Lenovo P40Yoga. Windows 10 64 Bit, 16 GB RAM. intel HD graphics 520/ Nvidia Quadro M500M
Thank you for your feedback.

Can you try with the following installer?
https://robodk.com/downloads/Install-Rob....8-GL4.exe

Let us know if the performance improves. This installer contains the 3D engine we will soon use for our official release.
It is a simplified version of RoboDK but 100% OpenGL, it should use the latest OpenGL version available.
Information 
(11-03-2017, 02:29 PM)RoboDK Wrote: Thank you for your feedback.

Can you try with the following installer?
https://robodk.com/downloads/Install-Rob....8-GL4.exe

Let us know if the perfomance improves. This installer contains the 3D engine we will soon use for our official release.
It is a simplified version of RoboDK but 100% OpenGL, it should use the latest OpenGL version available.

Brilliant, happy to help.

I used FRAPS to measure the FPS and few RoboDK example files.

Note: I had to copy the file Qt5PrintSupport.dll from version v3.2.9 to run the v3.2.8-GL4 (I hope that this doesn't make difference for this test)

v3.2.8-GL4: The performance and stability are better compared to the previous OpenGL version. I have to say that v3.2.8-GL4 render the same as v3.2.9. no crash, almost the same average fps across this 2 versions, with one exception: in v3.2.9 the trajectory path lines are not visible (neither the white or the yellow). 

Milling 8 Axes on v3.2.8-GL4   [b](on v3.2.9) :[/b] 
  • Intel:V-sync: application controlled
Best Quaily 36fps (30fps)        Best Performance: 36fps (39fps)
  • Nvidia Quadro V-sync on, Tripple buffering On:
Best Quaily: 30fps   (39fps)     Best Performance: 60fps (60fps)

SprayGun tutorial on v3.2.8-GL4:
Note: if you run the program with the spray gun in a loop, the frame rate drops to 3 FPS after the 3rd time running.
  • Nvidia Quadro V-sync on, Tripple buffering On:
Best Quaily: 3fps       Best Performance: 9fps

I found a weird 45 degrees tearing and incomplete frames in any version with the Quadro. But you will find the optimal settings for the current public version (v3.2.9) below with NO weird tearing thanks to V-Sync option turned off:

Test on v3.2.9 (GPU array option OFF).
  • Nvidia Quadro 
  • Vsync OFF
  • Triple buffering On
Milling 8 Axes
Best Quaily: 35-38fps       Best Performance: 63-65fps

Spray Gun single run
Best Quaily: 19-51fps       Best Performance: 20-38fps

[b]Spray Gun looping[/b]
Best Quaily: 6-8fps       Best Performance: 12-18fps

[b]Robot milling (2 robots)[/b]
Best Quaily: 20-37fps       Best Performance: 30-71fps

[b]Robot milling (5 axis)[/b]
Best Quaily: 30-64fps       Best Performance: 45-115fps

Conclusions:
If you run RoboDK with Intel HD graphics 520/620 is stable but the FPS would be top 35fps and with more robots and geometries you can expect 20fps or less (traditionally CAD software packages aim for 25-30fps).

My recommended settings
  • V-Sync OFF and triple buffering ON.
  • CPU: Go with High frequency CPU, more than 4 cores is not useful (as with most of the CAD packages)
  • GPU: go with high computing power. In my tests, 250MB of dedicated video memory were enough.
  • Complex models?: Maybe a single $800-$1200 nvidia GTX 1070/1080/Titan will get you more performance than a single $3000-$6000 Quadro