Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Why is .robot file size significantly smaller than original STEP files

I am building a six-axis robot and have noticed that the .robot file size is significantly smaller than the original STEP files of all joints combined (from around 15MB reduced to <1MB).

Some features seem to be auto simplified, like the attached picture of a circular bolt simplifying to a polygon.

I am just curious about this feature, cause I would love to auto simplify my STEP file but not turning into a .robot file. Anyone knows are there any other softwares can do that too or it is a proprietary algorithm developed by RoboDK Team?

Thanks!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

RoboDK objects, under the hood, are mesh objects. These files can generally be much smaller than parametric files (although not always the case).
You can save the file as a .sld by right clicking on it. 

This will speed up importing the file in the future but the import parameters will no longer have an effect.

Do you have a RoboDK Professional license? If so, we have an add-in that can help you simplify the mesh if you are looking to simplify objects further.
(03-20-2024, 02:51 AM)Alex Wrote: RoboDK objects, under the hood, are mesh objects. These files can generally be much smaller than parametric files (although not always the case).
You can save the file as a .sld by right clicking on it. 

This will speed up importing the file in the future but the import parameters will no longer have an effect.

Are you a Professional User? we have a tool that can help you simplify the mesh if you are looking to simplify the object further.

Yes I have a professional license, please let me know what kind of tool can help with that!
You can send us a support request by selecting Help-Request support and requesting this add-in to simplify objects.