Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

curve normals not following object surface

hello guys,

i've run into a problem again, this time i got the curves on the object working but the normals of those lines are not following the surface of the object.

i tried to fix it with "tilt curve normals" but that is neither accurate nor fast, the products we want to sand are also to complex and curved to do this by hand. the python scripts included in the RoboDK directory didn't fix the problem either, the arrows keep pointing in the same direction, even when upping the linear, angular and curve accuracy. 

i'll inlcude the file these problems occur with, i hope there is a simple solution to fix those normals so the tool can follow the surface of the object.

Attached Files
.stp   banen op Bad Lago.stp (Size: 2.6 MB / Downloads: 153)
Hello Kristan,

First, set the import options for models and curves ( Tools-Options-CAD ):

Then copy the model and run the Curve_Filter_AverageNormals script (located in the RoboDK\Library\Scripts directory). Select your model. Set the averaging parameter to 25.

Hide the original model and work with curves obtained after averaging the normals.

Example attached.

If you have any questions please let me know. 
Best regards, Sergei

Attached Files
.rdk   norm.rdk (Size: 5.65 MB / Downloads: 239)
(12-27-2022, 09:52 AM)Sergei Wrote: Hello Kristan,

First, set the import options for models and curves ( Tools-Options-CAD ):

Then copy the model and run the Curve_Filter_AverageNormals script (located in the RoboDK\Library\Scripts directory). Select your model. Set the averaging parameter to 25.

Hide the original model and work with curves obtained after averaging the normals.

Example attached.

If you have any questions please let me know. 
Best regards, Sergei

Hello Sergei, 

thank you for your help! i greatly appreciate it!

unfortunately the normals are still not doing what i want it to. after making sure i got all the parameters/ settings the same, the normals are still pointing towards one point. i've attached some images 

the script is not here in the tree because i ran the script from the folder directly, i also tried adding it into roboDK and running it again, to no avail.
I made a station very similar to yours, then I did all the operations that I described and then I got the normals to the surface again.

Could you reimport the STEP model please?
This can help.

I attached my station.

Attached Files
.rdk   norm4.rdk (Size: 2.92 MB / Downloads: 175)
(01-10-2023, 07:22 PM)Sergei Wrote: I made a station very similar to yours, then I did all the operations that I described and then I got the normals to the surface again.

Could you reimport the STEP model please?
This can help.

I attached my station.

thanks! re-importing the file did the trick!