Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

sanding at an angle

we're looking into mounting a sander on the flange of the ur10e at an 45 or maybe 90 degree angle as to get rid of some ot the singularity issues as well as hoping to improve the movement of the cobot.

the problem i'm facing now is that RoboDK doesn't "understand" that the rotation of the sander doesn't matter. 
so when im teaching a point on the surface the x and y direction will always point in the direction as it was facing when first creating that point, even though that isn't necesarry in an sanding application. the location of the target matters, not the rotation of the tool. 
so what i'm trying is to get the cobot to use the flange to direct the sander in the right orientation instead of it having to assume some weird positions. 

i've included two pictures with this, as to further explain what i'm trying to do, you can forget about the second robot in the back. the one in the front is what matters. the first one (     ) shows the position the cobot would assume under normal circumstances and the seccond picture      shows the position i want it to assume but with the x and y axis arrows pointing in a different direction then is what the target actually is. 

i could go trough the points myself and turn the tcp into the required direction, but that would take ages with our larger programs. is there a way to make the cobot "think for itself" as it comes to rotating the flange so a better position can be assumed?

we're using a UR 10e if that helps.

i hope i've been clear in describing our problem and someone will be able to help us! 

thank you for your attention,

Kristan Oppersma
Are you using the teach targets on surface feature?

You can select Program-Teach targets on surface and you'll see a blue wheel to turn around the Z axis.

You can also use the left and right arrow keys to adjut the orientation.

Another option is to change the rotation of your TCP.
(12-02-2022, 03:21 PM)Albert Wrote: Are you using the teach targets on surface feature?

You can select Program-Teach targets on surface and you'll see a blue wheel to turn around the Z axis.

You can also use the left and right arrow keys to adjut the orientation.

Another option is to change the rotation of your TCP.

hi Albert, 

thank you for your reaction! 
at the moment it's just for a proof of concept; to see if the robot installation will actually benefit from having the sander attached at an angle, so that wouldn't pose much of a problem now. 
but eventually we'll use the poduct drawings with the sanding lines included in that drawing. at that point i can't simply go trough all the optional points to adjust the robot to the desired position, as that would take way too much time. 

what i was hoping for is that there is a way for RoboDK/Cobot to understand that the sander is attached to the flange at an angle, and therefore being able to fix it's position itself using the flange rotation to find the best/a better spot. i had hoped i might had been able to make the sander it's own mechanism so that it would be allowed to rotate itself freely but that hasn't solved the issue. 

it's not the end of the world if that isn't possible, that would only show that it's not a feasible solution.
What you describe is possible. You can simply change the active tool (TCP) of the robot to a dummy TCP for testing. As you move the TCP you'll see if your targets are reachable or not.

You can move the TCP by holding Alt+Shift, you'll see warning signs on the targets that are not reachable.