Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

stationary tool project

Our class is looking at a sculpture project, life size statue. I had been thinking about how to accomplish this for some time and I think I have a path that will work. 

If we mount a spindle/router with the tool tip pointing up on the floor of the robot working area, the robot could hold the work piece and move it over the tool in an x,y,z fashion while using the wrist to rotate the work piece. This way over 90% could be carved and only obstructed areas remain. 

Given a 3D cad image of the sculpture, what would be the overall step process for RoboDK?

Keshka
Have you looked in the help sections? There is a lot of information on the milling process, it can be done either tool on robot or part on robot.

However from a practical point of view holding a large part on the robot will have its challenges, the general way people use robots to machine large items is to put the spindle on the robot and have the part on a rotating table
Hi Keshka,

If it's your first milling project, I would recommend starting with the spindle attached to the robot.
Having the robot holding the part adds another level of complexity.

Jeremy
Find useful information about RoboDK and its features by visiting our Online Documentation and by watching tutorials on our Youtube Channel

Ah, a rotating table.....That we do not have but other than the additional complexity of "Robot holding part" it should not be a problem for the robot to manipulate the part. The stock the robot will hold is simply dense foam and quite light and now where near the limit of 160kg the robot is rated for. That foam is used to create a mold for the finished piece.

I have made some progress from Jeremy's video on Robot wood milling as an example. Only one issue left and that is some of the robot moves cut through the part (a crash if you will) when moving from one orientation to the next.
I'm unsure you will get the results you require holding such a large piece on the robot, you have gravity that will distort the stock, also robots are inherintly more inaccurate than a large cnc machine for example.

A 1mm error at the robot wrist will end up being huge errors at the top of your life size part
I hope everything will turn out the way you want.

If it does, feel free to share the results!

Jeremy
Find useful information about RoboDK and its features by visiting our Online Documentation and by watching tutorials on our Youtube Channel