Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Can not import curves

You can reorient the normal by right clicking on the line and "Flip normals".

Honestly, Export curve is not something you really should be using to really do your work. It's more of a quick way of having access to the points that are executed by the robot after you imported the path from SW (or any other supported CAD software). It's like a last resort if you really need to access them.
It's in our plan to improve that, but it's not a priority.

Why do you need to access them this way?
Once you imported it from SW, why do you want to export it and reimport it afterwards?

Have a great day.
Jeremy
I use linux on my main laptop and try to use FOSS software as much as possible. Thats why I ditched SW for FreeCAD some months ago. So the only reasons I have to drag around a second laptop is occasionally accessing some old CAD files with SW and exporting curves for RDK because, well, i can't import STEP files on linux and the import with curve-recognition also never worked on my windows machines.
Instead of pushing my project back and forth I thought it would be a nice idea to only push the curves files. This way I could also use them in git and reset them when I mess with the normals again.

I haven't looked at your API yet, but is there a possibility I could write a macro for FreeCAD and export curves there? Or maybe even solid models instead of mesh?

Anyway, thank you very much for your effort!
For sure there is a possibility to export the curve from FreeCAD, but exactly how... I don't really know. We mostly build our plugin on the CAD API side, not on RDK API side. The RDK API is only used to import the curve once it's exported and to automatically generate the Curve Follow Project.

In other words, you should try to see if the FreeCAD API let you export the path as a text or CSV file. If you can come up with something that resembles the file you got by exporting from RDK, you should be good.

We want to expand our plugin offers in the future, but you will understand that FreeCAD is not our priority. We just rolled out Inventor and we will release Fusion 360 in the near future.

Have a great day and good luck with that project.
If you are able to do something, even if it's not perfect, you could launch a thread in the API section. I'm very curious to see your findings about FreeCAD.

Have a great day.
Jeremy
Hi Jeremy,

just to let you know I was toying around with the RDK and FreeCAD API this evening and wrote a simple macro for FreeCAD which basically covers everything I need from the SolidWorks plugin... simply exporting curves to RDK: https://github.com/maximbendiks/fc_robodk_macro
Nothing fancy right now, but I hope to keep up and create a similar plugin like the one for SolidWorks.

So this makes the export/import of curves obsolete for me :-)
That's really cool!
Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Jeremy