Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Connect ROBODK with ROS (or Slicer 3D)??

Hi,

I am currently using a medical imaging software, Slicer, that allows me to select 'target' points on a bone. I can export this information as a JSON file automatically.

What I'd ideally like to do is for RoboDK to get these points automatically (without me needing to load the JSON file manually). I was hoping to use some sort of middleware to connect these two softwares, so when I select these points on Slicer, through the Python interface on RoboDK, it will also show up in RoboDK environment.

I was hoping to connect these two softwares via ROS (any other ideas are also welcomed) but I wasn't sure if RoboDK can actually work with ROS?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I recommend you to take a look at our API. If you have a JSON file with target data, for example, XYZ, you can convert these points to targets and create a program to move to those targets.

This example shows how you can load a CSV file with XYZ point and create a program in RoboDK:
https://robodk.com/doc/en/PythonAPI/exam...rogram-xyz

I don't think you need to use ROS. Feel free to share samples of your JSON file and we can help you integrate it with a simple script.
(11-16-2020, 01:29 PM)Albert Wrote: I recommend you to take a look at our API. If you have a JSON file with target data, for example, XYZ, you can convert these points to targets and create a program to move to those targets.

This example shows how you can load a CSV file with XYZ point and create a program in RoboDK:
https://robodk.com/doc/en/PythonAPI/exam...rogram-xyz

I don't think you need to use ROS. Feel free to share samples of your JSON file and we can help you integrate it with a simple script.

Hi Albert,

Thank you for your quick response. 

That's exactly what I'd like to do, but I want to do it automatically and use it with online programming in RoboDK. I.e, when I select a point in 3D Slicer, it outputs the point onto ROS which could then input the JSON file into RoboDK in real time.

As oppose to having to manually get the JSON file and then upload it via Python into RoboDK, I was wondering if there was a way to transmit the data automatically into the Python Script? Was hoping to use ROS to do this.