Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Connecting to ABB IRB 140

Hey Guys, I have an ABB IRB 140 with an S4C controller. I'm stressed out trying to connect the software to the controller. I have the IP address from the controller unit and my PC communicating as I can ping successfully, however it just won't connect. Any info or tips you could give me would be brilliant.
Hi Craighannon,
You need to place two MOD/PRG files in your robot controller to convert it into a server and be able to move the robot from RoboDK. Send us a request to info@robodk.com and we will provide you with these files.
(02-04-2016, 04:59 PM)craighannon Wrote: Hey Guys, I have an ABB IRB 140 with an S4C controller. I'm stressed out trying to connect the software to the controller. I have the IP address from the controller unit and my PC communicating as I can ping successfully, however it just won't connect. Any info or tips you could give me would be brilliant.

Hello, 

I am interested in buying a used ABB IRB 140 (2002 year model) with TPU2 and M2000 controller that i found from a seller online. I assume i will run into the same problem you had when trying to connect your robot to Robodk. Did you ever manage to successfully connect the two with the files the Robodk administrators sent to you? If so, do you recommend that I follow the same procedure you did, or do you have any tips and tricks about how to do so, and any mistakes to avoid? 

I do not have the best technical proficiency, and I am wondering how I will be able to find the IP address of the robot? Do i turn on the robot controller and go to some settings on the teach pendant to observe the IP address? I am very new to industrial robots... 

I emailed someone from ABB and asked them how to find the IP address and they said "That version of robot has an available lan/ip addressable port" . I do not know what this means... Does this mean a port where I hook up an ethernet cable to the robot... or does it mean I have to locate the IP address somewhere on the teach pendant interface?? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!! 

Thank you very much! 
Hi sskipwit,

I hope you are well.
I personally never played with an S4C controller from ABB, but on the other hand, I never saw a robot that has a teach pendant (some brands like Mecademic and Techman/Omron TM do not have a teach pendant, they instead use a web interface) where you can't find the IP address on the said controller. You can generally look for a "Network" section on the teach. With a bit of patience, you should be able to find it, there's no reason for any robot manufacturer to actually hide burry that information too far down the menus, but that's an older generation, so nothing is impossible.
Anyway, if you are new to robotics, one of the things I would recommend you do is visite every section of the teach pendant. You won't know what most of these options do, but in a week, 3 weeks, or maybe 3 months, you will face a problem and remember that you saw something along those lines once on the teach. Same with the user manual, engineers are not writing documentation just for fun.

"That version of robot has an available lan/ip addressable port"
That pretty much just means that this controller has some Ethernet IP capabilities. Therefore, you should be able to find the IP address on the teach pendant.

Jeremy