Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

EpsonDriver.py Incompatibility with Epson VT6L

Hello, I am using online programming directly with the Epson VT6L (6DOF robot arm) and its 4th and 5th joint are unresponsive when using the EpsonDriver.py. When running the driver directly in the terminal and issuing MOVJ commands, (i.e. MOVJ 90, 0, 0, 45, 0, 0), the fifth and sixth entry to the array do not have any effect. Interestingly, the fourth entry of the array corresponds to the J6 angle. 

Is there a more up to date driver that works for this configuration of epson robot? Perhaps this driver is compatible only with Epson Scara robots and not 6DOF arms? Any suggestions would be appreciated, I have provided the a screenshot of the pulse of the joints when connecting to the robot.

I am also using python v3.7 to communicate through the driver and RoboDK 5.5.1.

Cheers,
Austin
Can you try with the latest version? If you still have issues, can you send us a print screen of the log?

We have made a few changes recently regarding our integration with Epson robots. Specifically to support Scara robots (6 axis robots should work).
Hello Albert, 

Thanks for following up I attached a log below from sending some joint commands and statusing the driver with CJNTALL to try and describe the hardware/driver issue we are seeing with joints 4, 5, 6. 

Within the log:
  • got position of robot with CJNTALL JOINT:  1:   15.000 deg 2:   50.000 deg 3:  -35.000 deg 4:   -0.000 deg 5:    0.000 deg 6:    0.000 deg
  • note joint 4-6 are at 0 degrees
  • send move joints with MOVJ 15 50 -35 45 0 15 
  • joint 4 did not respond and joint 6 moved to 45 degrees (which was entered for joint 4)
  • sent another move command MOVJ 15 50 -35 45 50 15 
  • joint 5 was issued as 50 degrees and did not move 
I am upgraded to RoboDK V5.5.2 (10-16-22) - see attached. I have an active maintenance license and am working with a fresh install of RoboDK. Also using python v3.7.8. Thankyou and please let me know if I can provide any additional details. 

Cheers,
Austin

.txt   EpsonVT6L_log_10_19_22.txt (Size: 1.68 KB / Downloads: 159)
Hi, I was curious if there might be any updates on this? I'm going to be in my lab tomorrow evening where the Epson VT6L is and am curious if there is anything else i might try to attempt to better diagnose the driver issue. Or if there might be another driver to try for this particular epson 6DOF robot? Thanks for any/all advice.
I'm sorry we took so long to get back to you. We just fixed the issue. You should install the latest version of RoboDK 64 bit for Windows. Let us know if you still have issues.

We noticed there was an issue with the driver ignoring the number of axes (having the default value set to 4).

The command CJNTALL was used for debugging only and it woks only for Scara robots. If you want to use the command line option you should use CJNT instead.
Hello Albert,

Thanks for following up, I looked at the changelog for 10-26-22 and saw a new driver specified to work for Epson 6DOF robots. I grabbed the latest 64 bit windows install but this version v5.5.2 is dated (10-18-22) see screenshot attached.  

I was previously using (10-16-22) so I attempted to use the 10-18-22 Epson driver on this version. Now the process crashes when attempting to connect. v5.5.2 See log attached. It was previously working with the (10-16-22) other than the joint issues.

Could you possibly doublecheck the compatibility of the modified driver with Epson VT6L or do you know when the 10-26 changes will be available? Let me know if there is anything I can do to troubleshoot further. 

Thanks,
Austin

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.txt   EpsonVT6L_log_10_26_22.txt (Size: 366 bytes / Downloads: 154)
Thank you for such detailed feedback. We just properly updated RoboDK again:
https://robodk.com/downloads/Install-Rob...v5.5.2.exe

Can you try again with this new version? Let me know if you still have issues.
Hello Albert, thanks the driver appears to be mostly working right now. After a few days of tinkering. I have discovered the following very significany driver related issues.
  • Overall joint 6 pose inaccurate between simulator and reality when issuing joint moves (usually a 90 or 180 difference in orientation) so my tooling is incorrectly oriented
  • When issuing linear moves the robot appears to error out in several conditions:

• If the robot is in low power mode it errors out with 4241 error and immediately shuts down when attempting a linear move. (see the error message towards the bottom of the log attached)
  • If the robot is in high power mode and attempts to move linear with a certain TCP defined that isn't the robot flange, it will almost always throw a 99 general communications error. (See the first line of the log attached) 
  • If neither of those things happen the robot appears to get the orientation consistent between the simulator and reality. 
Thanks and let me know if this should be a separate forum post. Otherwise let me know if you have any suggestions or if I can provide any additional input.

Attached Files
.txt   EpsonVT6L_log_11_6_22.txt (Size: 812 bytes / Downloads: 159)
That's great.