Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Gripper Issues when transferring RoboDK Simulation to Real Robot

Hi,
I’ve created a RoboDK Pick & Place Program using the Yaskawa Motoman GP8 Robot, attaching the SCHUNK gripper and separate finger attachments to the SCHUNK to simulate the SCHUNK gripper on the robot I am using.
I have transferred my program over to the GP8 robot via an Ethernet cable and the real robot does the same movements as the RoboDK simulation. However, the gripper doesn’t open and close, even though the simulation shows the gripper (fingers) opening and closing.
My gripper (fingers) work by a Python program I have created and then two separate programs one for closing the gripper and one for closing the gripper. This has then been incorporated into the main program by the call commands, one being Call Gripper Close and the other Call Gripper Open. This works on the RoboDK simulation when I run the program, but doesn’t convert onto the real robot even though the rest of the robot movements do transfer and work on the real robot.  
Is there something extra that needs done to make the gripper work on the real robot other than what I have already done?
You are simulating the gripping in RoboDK just fine.
To get the gripper working on the robot, you need to either set the correct outputs with setDO or call your controller macro with RunInstruction.
Please read the Forum Guidelines before posting!
Find useful information about RoboDK by visiting our Online Documentation.
(06-20-2023, 11:18 AM)30047160 Wrote: Hi,
I’ve created a RoboDK Pick & Place Program using the Yaskawa Motoman GP8 Robot, attaching the SCHUNK gripper and separate finger attachments to the SCHUNK to simulate the SCHUNK gripper on the robot I am using.
I have transferred my program over to the GP8 robot via an Ethernet cable and the real robot does the same movements as the RoboDK simulation. However, the gripper doesn’t open and close, even though the simulation shows the gripper (fingers) opening and closing.
My gripper (fingers) work by a Python program I have created and then two separate programs one for closing the gripper and one for closing the gripper. This has then been incorporated into the main program by the call commands, one being Call Gripper Close and the other Call Gripper Open. This works on the RoboDK simulation when I run the program, but doesn’t convert onto the real robot even though the rest of the robot movements do transfer and work on the real robot.  
Is there something extra that needs done to make the gripper work on the real robot other than what I have already done?
Hello, I would be interested to know how you managed to control the gripper via Robodk.
Is your gripper also operated with compressed air?

Thank you in advance
I just got back to you on the other thread.

The standard way of programming robots is by generating a program. You should be able to easily configure digital outputs with the post processor. With some robot controllers this may work by default if you use numbered digital outputs.