Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Importing scanned Geometry

Dear all.

Is it possible to import scanned coordinates instead of using a CAD drawing?
We are doing non destructive testing by moving our mesurement head (mounted on a UR10 robot) at a specifi distance, perpendicular to the surface of a part. The normal way, would be to import a CAD drawing, plan the path and then do the testing. But, quite often the real part and the CAD drawing doesn't match the real part because of warping due to production or other problems. In other cases we simply lack the CAD drawing, so we need to make CAD drawing from the real part.

Lately we thought, that it would be much easier, to mount a laser distance sensor on the robobt and scan the part by moving the robot in a simple rectangular shape over the part. Then use the found distnace together with the coordinates and put the part in RoboDK. 
By this we would get the parts real shape and also its exact position, without the need of an exact alignement.

Was this done before? If yes, please point me to the according thread or example. If no, can you give me a hint of how this could be possible?

Many thanks
Bernhard
Hi Bernhard,

What type of output do you get from the scanner? You should be able to import a point cloud in RoboDK if you just load a text file with points.

However, I believe the challenge is in properly calibrating the tool (camera or distance sensor) with respect to the robot flange. You would then have to map the measured values relative you your coordinate system and properly identify or match your point cloud to a 3D model.

It is currently not possible to do this in RoboDK in a user friendly way but we can try to help you implement this using a Python script or similar.

Albert
Yes, you should be able to load STL files. This is probably the most common file format exported by scanners.