Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Non-planar Gcode - Toolhead Follow Path

Hello everyone & RoboDK. 

Im hoping to get some help on how to adjust our settings in RoboDK so we would be able to 3D Print non-planar. 

With our current settings we have locked our Z axis so we dont get weird rotations around the toolhead while printing. 

We would like to achieve to have the toolhead rotate slightly around the X-axis following the path of printing, see picture ("TCPFollowpath1+TCPFollowpath2)

Are there any way to open up the X-axis rotation so that the tool orientation follows the path of printing, keeping a perpendicular angle to what it's printing??

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.rdk   RoboDKMH24-Kylling_Non_Planar_Test.rdk (Size: 5.97 MB / Downloads: 303)
The "weird rotation around Z" comes from the optimization parameters. It's there to avoid singularities and joint limits.
You can enter "0" instead of "180," and you will be fine. But you might not be able to complete your path.

For the non-planar path, the orientation of the tool should come from the GCode you are using.
If you want a 5-axis path, you need a 5-axis input.

What is the format of your g-code?

Jeremy
Find useful information about RoboDK and its features by visiting our Online Documentation and by watching tutorials on our Youtube Channel

(02-28-2022, 03:35 PM)Jeremy Wrote: The "weird rotation around Z" comes from the optimization parameters. It's there to avoid singularities and joint limits.
You can enter "0" instead of "180," and you will be fine. But you might not be able to complete your path.

For the non-planar path, the orientation of the tool should come from the GCode you are using.
If you want a 5-axis path, you need a 5-axis input.

What is the format of your g-code?

Jeremy

We have two Yaskawa Robots, in one of them i have 0 as optimization parameter to keep it steady. the other one i need to enter 180 for it to maintain correct orientation. 

Regards to the non-planar path, the g-code format should be .gcode if im not mistaken?
It's generated using slic3r and a non-planar script. Attached it here. 

Im not sure if i understand that the orientation of the tool should come from the Gcode im using. Is it not possible to make the tool follow the path of printing in RoboDK?? Just as when you're making a curve follow project or a machining project?

Any pointers appreciated.
You didn't attach any files, unfortunately.

The NC format can be many things including .gcode.

An NC file includes many things, speed, extrusion, position and (potentially) vector orientation.
If there is no orientation, it's a 3-axis NC file where we consider the tool always normal to the ground (along Z).
If you want to have rotation around X or Y, it needs to come from the gcode (or in other words from the slicer). RoboDK cant just guesses what orientation you need.

If the slicer can't do it, you can also manipulate the gcode before its importation to RoboDK and manually (with a script of your own of course) add an orientation. Something as simple as figuring out the tangent of the path and creating an orientation perpendicular to this tangent could be a good start.

Jeremy
Find useful information about RoboDK and its features by visiting our Online Documentation and by watching tutorials on our Youtube Channel

(02-28-2022, 07:02 PM)Jeremy Wrote: You didn't attach any files, unfortunately.

The NC format can be many things including .gcode.

An NC file includes many things, speed, extrusion, position and (potentially) vector orientation.
If there is no orientation, it's a 3-axis NC file where we consider the tool always normal to the ground (along Z).
If you want to have rotation around X or Y, it needs to come from the gcode (or in other words from the slicer). RoboDK cant just guesses what orientation you need.

If the slicer can't do it, you can also manipulate the gcode before its importation to RoboDK and manually (with a script of your own of course) add an orientation. Something as simple as figuring out the tangent of the path and creating an orientation perpendicular to this tangent could be a good start.

Jeremy

Sorry about that. 
I can't upload the Gcode in here, even though i zipped it.

Its a regular Gcode, but it has some non-planar features in the end.

Guess I'll have to be looking at a slicer that can do this. Only ones on market seems to be paid ones and have to be integrated with our robots.
Your GCode is indeed non-planar, but only 3-axis.

You can either find a non-planar 5-axis slicer or modify the g-code as I suggested.

Jeremy