Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Older Staubli Rx90 model (CS7 vintage)

(02-22-2022, 01:04 PM)Jeremy Wrote: No, I got it.
Just got flooded with emails (as usual), hope to get back to you this week.

Jeremy

I can't imagine answering anywhere near the volume of messages you likely deal with on a daily basis.  No worries!
Hi, I also have a RX60 and RX90 with a CS7 controller (Adept). How did you manage to get the code from RoboDK over to the CS7 controller? I'm trying to connect to it using network mode with an ethernet cable to my laptop. Thanks!!
(06-01-2022, 03:26 PM)DMS-Sci Wrote: Hi, I also have a RX60 and RX90 with a CS7 controller (Adept).  How did you manage to get the code from RoboDK over to the CS7 controller?  I'm trying to connect to it using network mode with an ethernet cable to my laptop.  Thanks!!

Hi there,

Floppy disks work best for me.  The serial connection is very very slow.  I would be surprised if you are able to find a good way to directly connect the Staubli with any speed.  Perhaps some newer components in your Mv19 controller?   Mine is from 1994, except the SIO, which may be a bit newer.  Maybe there was an upgrade with an ethernet option?  I think Glenn Helmes / Robot Doctor might know about that, but even if it were an option, I'd be surprised if RoboDk has implemented it at this point as we have such old machines.   

I may try to get a usb floppy emulator, but it is unclear how difficult this might be and I could run into some compatibility issues.   Even so, I'd still be limited to 1.3mb file sizes, even if there are 100 of those on a SSD card.  

I used an online utility to split my files automatically,, but I still needed to edit them a bit.  It's much more ideal if you are able to get RoboDk to do that, but so far I have not seen that as an option for the Adept Staubli post. 

I was able to replace my hard drive with a ssd hdd emulator from intertial computing.  The MV19 SIO had several different drives, so you need to open it up and take the Adept sticker off the drive to figure out what you have.  This is a really good idea especially if you have an older machine and are doing imporant work.  Those quantum drives are all failing these days. 

Mine were both made by quantum.  One larger ~ 5" used in the 030.   One smaller, used in the 040, as seen in older MAC laptops.   The controller was able to format the new drive.  After that I reinstalled my system, copied over utilities, and my Rx90's  .spc file.  

Unfortunately, even though I replaced my hard drive with a SSD card, I don't think it is possible to move programs over using it.  I think it's a formatting issue.  Maybe there is a a way around it, but as things are now, I would have to take apart the sio to get at the ssd card.

!!!   Please be aware your Rx90 uses different default joint positions from the Rx90B model available on the RoboDk library.  If you use the Rx90B model with your Rx90 robot, you will have unpredictable, potentially destructive results.  I uploaded a copy of RoboDk's Rx90B model that I modified to reflect the Rx90 joint positions.  I think you will find it if you search Rx90 in the forums.   If not, please contact me and I can send it to you.  For clarity - your CS7 controller uses different joint positions for the "ready" position.   There are a few that are 90 degrees off if you attempt to use the Rx90B model.  

Best of luck with your machines,

David
Thanks for the reply! I plugged in an ethernet cable to the CS7 through a router and then to my laptop.  The CS7 booted on network mode but I'm not sure how to transfer the .rdk file over.  I was able to ping the controller via FTP and was trying to transfer the file via FTP.  That was a couple of months ago so I don't recall the details of exactly how I set it up, but that's the gist. 

So I understand now that you used a floppy disk and edited the program a bit.  Thanks for the heads up with the RX90 vs RX90B home positions.  I definitely have the former so I'll use your modified default joint configuration for my RX90 as well.
(06-02-2022, 07:28 PM)DMS-Sci Wrote: Thanks for the reply!  I plugged in an ethernet cable to the CS7 through a router and then to my laptop.  The CS7 booted on network mode but I'm not sure how to transfer the .rdk file over.  I was able to ping the controller via FTP and was trying to transfer the file via FTP.  That was a couple of months ago so I don't recall the details of exactly how I set it up, but that's the gist. 

So I understand now that you used a floppy disk and edited the program a bit.  Thanks for the heads up with the RX90 vs RX90B home positions.  I definitely have the former so I'll use your modified default joint configuration for my RX90 as well.

I'm glad you sorted it out!  I'm not sure how hard it would be to update a Staubli Rx90 with an AWC or AWCII controller, but if that's possible then higher-speed data transfer is doable.

I used a utility called xmodem to move files over ftp.  It was a pain, but it would move stuff to the controller.   Slowly.....    Also, I wrote a simple python post that will translate x,y,z coordinates from fusion to a format that V+ appreciates.   It's nowhere near as good as using robodk, and has no singularity avoidance, but if all you need is to cut a smaller part with cartesian it should work well.  I'm going to try it with an Adept XYZ machine, which does not have the singularity issue (essentially a cnc router).  

Sorry I don't check this often enough, if you have have trouble with your Staubli, feel free to try me.  

davidturnswood@gmail.com
Thank you for your feedback! Let us know if you need help with your Staubli robots.