Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Omron COBOT, controlling RobotiQ Hand-E Gripper

I thought I posted this yesterday but can't see the post - whoops, sorry if I accidentally double post

I'm attempting to control a RobotiQ Hand-E Gripper on a Omron TM5-900 through RoboDK whilst online programming. I'm able to address the robot through Modbus, but I can't access the Gripper at the moment.

I found this thread which mentions using robot.RunInstruction('RQ_2FG_Open', INSTRUCTION_CALL_PROGRAM) with the Universal_Robots_RobotiQ post processor, however I couldn't get it to function.

Further down in the thread the author post a RQ_2F_Gripper.py file, however I couldn't find the module thread_shutdown which is used so the code wouldn't run.

I've been combing through the manuals and know the registers I need to program to but I don't know how to do it. Anybody know how to get it working? I've attached my program code in case I'm doing something silly.

Cheers

Sean
Hi Sean,

You did not attach your code.

I don't know if it's possible or not, you might have to ask your Omron/TM representative.
If you are using Online programming, it means that you are using the Listen Node on the controller side, right?
Do you know if the Listen Node can receive a command to activate the gripper? If so, just let me know which command, and I'll help you integrate that with RoboDK.
(it can be a Modbus or Ethernet)

Jeremy
Find useful information about RoboDK and its features by visiting our Online Documentation and by watching tutorials on our Youtube Channel

Thanks for the response Jeremy! Whoops, I did in the first 'post' :P

Yep doing it through the Listen Node. I thought because of that I was doing an Ethernet connection but I had to configure the modbus in the manual I had. Now that I check there's no IP filter in the modbus settings so I might not be using modbus.

I'll have to investigate into the listen node and see what I can do with it.

Cheers Jeremy

Attached Files
.py   Prog1.py (Size: 2.31 KB / Downloads: 357)
Hi Sean,

The driver is using both Ethernet and Modbus.
That's why you needed to set the Modbus connection.

Jeremy
Find useful information about RoboDK and its features by visiting our Online Documentation and by watching tutorials on our Youtube Channel

Found a manual for expressions that can be passed into and out of the listen node: https://assets.omron.com/m/1d1932319ce3e...Manual.pdf

It has a couple of functions for read and write from/to registers. Just need to figure out how to access the Gripper's registers through the comm port now I think?
If I'm not mistaken, the gripper is controlled as a "component" in TM Flow.
You should see if you can control or call components using the Listen Node.

Jeremy

You are correct! I'll have a look into that. Thanks Jeremy