Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Path to tool correction

Hello everyone,

I have builded up a Station with a Robot Mashining Project.
The problem is, that the tool is following the line exactly on the TCP but I need a Path to tool correction.

When I use the Path to tool feature the programm change the way to the Frame, not to the Path.

I hope someone can help me with this problem.

Best regards 

Bastian Nöthe
Hi Bastian,

If you use a Robot Machining project, it means you are using some sort of NC file (GCode)
If it's the case, the tool compensation needs to be programmed in the NC file.

Jeremy
Find useful information about RoboDK and its features by visiting our Online Documentation and by watching tutorials on our Youtube Channel

Hello Jeremy,

So I have to Prepare the 3D-Part with the exact Curve which I need?
And when I use a simle Curve follow project? So I have no option to setup the path to tool correction in the RoboDK settings?

Bastian
Hi Bastian,

We are working on a solution to that.
We already have something available but hidden in RoboDK to do something like this.

I could give you access if you want.
But that won't work for the Robot Machining Program, the tool path compensation needs to be done by the CAM software.
CAM systems are good at it ad it's one of their main jobs.

Jeremy
Find useful information about RoboDK and its features by visiting our Online Documentation and by watching tutorials on our Youtube Channel

Hey Jeremy,

to have this solution would be nice.
I haven`t  a CAM Software to plan the mill path.

But when I want to mill a complicate Part, must I have a CAM Software?

Bastian
Hi Bastian,

You need CAM software to accomplish milling. We have plugins for some CAM software but any CAM software should work if you use generic G code or APT.

More information here:
https://robodk.com/doc/en/Robot-Machinin...iningSetup

Albert
It depends on what you mean by "complicated part" and what you mean by "mill a part". If you simply try to cut stuff (one or 2 passes) you can do it without a CAM software and with a bit of patience.

But otherwise, if the part is indeed complicated and /or if you are really trying to mill (remove material in multiple passes) then yes, you will need a CAM software.