Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Robot machining - path normals do not match tool orientation

Hi, I am trying to create a 5 axis machining project. I am creating toolpaths on Fusion360, then loading the .nc file into my machining project on RoboDK. With 3 axis projects the normals are correctly oriented, however with 5 axis or tilt, the imported normals on the path seem to be all over the place.

I have tried to re-orient the TCP but this does not fix the problem as the path normals do not seem to be rotated in any particular direction.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Sam,

This is admittedly quite weird.
Could you attach the .rdk file and the fusion file?

I would like to take a look at it.
Jeremy
Hi Jeremy, thanks for taking a look.

I have attached .rdk and .nc file that I used, I have not been able to upload the fusion .f3d file for some reason, I will attempt to PM or post in a following reply.

Sam

.rdk   KR240 1 Statue Test.rdk (Size: 6.52 MB / Downloads: 420)
.nc   cemstat8.nc (Size: 296.9 KB / Downloads: 419)

Here is the fusion file

.zip   CemStat2 v2.f3d.zip (Size: 22.8 MB / Downloads: 391)
Hi Sam, 

This seems to be a non-supported type of .NC file. 
There's a post-processor in Fusion that can output .apt files. I know that RoboDK supports this format coming out of Fusion very well as I tested it myself.

But you don't really need to do so, instead, I recommend you to use our Fusion 360 plugin. 
It will import the CAM program from Fusion to RoboDK automatically. 
Take a look at this link for more details (There are some tutorial videos included in the documentation) :
https://robodk.com/doc/en/Plugin-Fusion3...nFusion360

The result using the plugin:

I hope it helps. 
Jeremy
(04-23-2020, 02:53 AM)Jeremy Wrote: Hi Sam, 

This seems to be a non-supported type of .NC file. 
There's a post-processor in Fusion that can output .apt files. I know that RoboDK supports this format coming out of Fusion very well as I tested it myself.

But you don't really need to do so, instead, I recommend you to use our Fusion 360 plugin. 
It will import the CAM program from Fusion to RoboDK automatically. 
Take a look at this link for more details (There are some tutorial videos included in the documentation) :
https://robodk.com/doc/en/Plugin-Fusion3...nFusion360

The result using the plugin:

I hope it helps. 
Jeremy

Thanks, thats perfect.

I have used an .apt postprocessor and it worked great.

I am using roboDK on a different computer to fusion360, I will also try fusion360 with plugin on the other computer

Thanks again for the help,

Sam
Hi Sam,
Thank you for your feedback.
I recommend you to use the CAMplete post (it outputs an TAP/APT file).
Albert