Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Robotiq Hand-E Gripper setup as a robot not tool

The RobotiQ Hand-E gripper in the RoboDK Library is set up as a robot instead of a tool. Not sure why aside from it being a mistake on export for the library. With it being labeled a robot and not a gripper it doesn't automatically attach to the flange like other tools do.
If you want to see the moving RobotiQ gripper mechanism you should place the RobotiQ mechanism attached to the robot.

On the other hand, if you want to use it for programming, you should add a tool (TCP) with or without a 3D geometry. This tool should be directly attached to the robot item. Tool geometries are static and can't be moved like mechanisms do.
(07-29-2022, 04:15 PM)Albert Wrote: If you want to see the moving RobotiQ gripper mechanism you should place the RobotiQ mechanism attached to the robot.

On the other hand, if you want to use it for programming, you should add a tool (TCP) with or without a 3D geometry. This tool should be directly attached to the robot item. Tool geometries are static and can't be moved like mechanisms do.

Not sure what you mean I'm very new to RoboDK and I am doing the tutorials on YouTube to learn.

Maybe I wasn't clear in my post as I am not familiar with how the 3d files are created so they are imported as a robot, tool or object but when I download the file for the RobotiQ Hand-E gripper the file type is RoboDK Robot but if I download the RobotiQ Sanding kit the file type is RoboDK Tool. So when I am inside RoboDK and I select the button for adding a tool to my robot RobotiQ Hand-E gripper does not appear like the Sanding kit does.

Attached Files Image(s)

Tools (.tool) are automatically mounted on the robot flange. Mechanisms (.robot) are not, you need to drag the mechanism manually under the robot to attach it.
However, it will not act as tool (it is for visualization). You can define a Tool with no 3D model at the right location (right-click robot, Add Tool).
Please read the Forum Guidelines before posting!
Find useful information about RoboDK by visiting our Online Documentation.
(08-03-2022, 12:36 PM)Sam Wrote: Tools (.tool) are automatically mounted on the robot flange. Mechanisms (.robot) are not, you need to drag the mechanism manually under the robot to attach it.
However, it will not act as tool (it is for visualization). You can define a Tool with no 3D model at the right location (right-click robot, Add Tool).

I'm not asking how to do something. Why isn't this set up as a tool in the library like all the other tools. THAT is my question. It is even in the tools section of the library to download it appears to have been saved as the wrong file type i.e. it should be a tool file and not a robot file. Again I am not asking how to use this in the software I am asking how I get a version that is a tool or is it something I can change myself?
Tool files do not currently support movements or Programming (like RobotiQ would require). For that reason we defined tools that require movement as mechanisms so users can get the functionality they would expect of a dynamic tool.

This is just a technicality because as my colleagues mentioned, it does not affect functionality and there is a proper way to use these tools.
(08-03-2022, 06:15 PM)Alex Wrote: Tool files do not currently support movements or Programming (like RobotiQ would require).  For that reason we defined tools that require movement as mechanisms so users can get the functionality they would expect of a dynamic tool.

This is just a technicality because as my colleagues mentioned, it does not affect functionality and there is a proper way to use these tools.

Thank you Alex. While I understand Sam and Albert were giving me the information on how to use the RobotiQ gripper I was trying to understand if there was a mistake in the file type. You have clarified what's going on and as such everything else makes more sense. 

I appreciate the help all 3 of you gave me I figured I wasn't clarifying the answer I was looking for so I am glad I understand everything now.