Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Roundover toolpath, keeping tool relative to tangent line

Hello, I am trying to develop a system where I can roundover a piece with a certain degree of flexibility in placement. The piece in the file provided is not the actual piece I will be cutting, I am simply using it to learn if this is possible in roboDK. The way I am doing this is having the spindle on the cutter further out, and pressurized against the edge of the piece. In order to accomplish this, and my reason for posting this, is I need to keep the spindle relative to the curve. I saw you guys had a "robot holds object and follows path" option. But when I try to utilize this feature, it seems to move the entire toolpath operation with the robot, which I found rather odd. Is something I am missing? I have a test reference frame tool in the station, that I would like to move perpendicular to the tangent line of the curve of the toolpath. 

Thank you!

.rdk   roundoverproject.rdk (Size: 1.17 MB / Downloads: 167)
I believe you are looking for the option "Tools orientation follows path".

Also, to facilitate the change of orientation it would be better to mount the cutting axis parallel to axis 6 (rotate your cutting axis by 90 deg). Let us know if you need more help.
(10-25-2022, 08:58 AM)Albert Wrote: I believe you are looking for the option "Tools orientation follows path".

Also, to facilitate the change of orientation it would be better to mount the cutting axis parallel to axis 6 (rotate your cutting axis by 90 deg). Let us know if you need more help.

Thank you, the issue I am seeing pop up now is that it says the robot is not able to reach all points due to rotating too close to 180 degrees. Is this something I can allow to happen without collision? It is fully simulating the process, so am I able to generate a tp file, but it still throws an error code inside of robodk just when selecting options for the toolpath.

Thanks!
I took a look at the file you sent and the NC file you used will prevent you from using "tool orientation follows path" properly because of the lead in/lead out strategy you used.

But in all honesty, if you have a spindle, you should be fine with the "Minimum tool orientation change" as only rotx and roty of the tool matters (the tool is already spinning around rotz).

Maybe I'm missing something here, as I don't understand why what you attached first doesn't work.

"Robot holds object" is really for when the robot is holding the part and the spindle (or what ever tool) is fixed in the station.

Jeremy
Find useful information about RoboDK and its features by visiting our Online Documentation and by watching tutorials on our Youtube Channel