Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Sighting in tool with laser tracker

I'm working with a high mix low volume robot cell used for process development where the tooling fixtures the robot performs operations on are not pinned (i.e. each time a new tool is moved into the cell, it will have a unique coordinate system with respect to the robot’s world coordinate system). I have access to an AT960 laser tracker, a professional RoboDK license, and I have SMR nests mounted to both the tools and the robot. I'd like to be able to use the laser tracker to get the transformation between the robot and the tool so I can update the user frames in my robot programs and validate the reach before running the program. Is this possible without the calibration and performance testing license?
Using a laser tracker to calibrate coordinate systems is possible but not very handy if your robot has not been calibrated. In short, you are using a measurement system that has an accuracy of 0.010 mm and you'll be relying on the robot accuracy to define a common coordinate system which may have an accuracy of 2-10 mm. It would make more sense to define the final coordinate system with the robot itself in the first place (skipping the laser tracker measurement step).

You can find more information here to calibrate a coordinate system based on 3 point measurements:
https://robodk.com/doc/en/General.html#CalibrateFrame
You should select Calibrate using Points instead of Joints.

The robot calibration option allows you to not only improve the accuracy of the robot, but also to locate the robot base with respect to the laser tracker very accurately. This allows you to define new coordinate systems with the laser tracker accurately.